Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    So uh, I dont know where I should post this, if on talkbass at all *shrug* but my girlfriend is thinking about starting playing guitar... she doesnt have a whole lot of money, but she can probably do like... $300 or under. Any advice on the best starter package? Or if not package, the best (while still being cheap) starter guitar?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Squier Strat Pak.

'Nuff Said

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    cancel the package thought, haha, sorry, I just remembered my practice amp that I dont use at all thatshe can have. so around $250 for just a guitar, what should she aim for? squier still? i hear talk of epiphone from my friends. anyone?

4. I was able to pick up my schecter pt elite for 300 bones new, which I use more often than my fender nashville telecaster (which cost twice as much), if that says anything.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd think you could find a clean used MIM Strat or Tele for $250.

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You could probably find a decent used or new Ibanez guitar for that price. Ibanez guitars really vary in their quality though IMO, they're either great or only good for one style of music. That or a mexi strat/tele. You can also get kits for like $100 and then paint it how you want, do upgrades, etc. I picked up a tele kit for $75 off of ebay and then upgraded the pickups and electronics to the American noiseless pickups and electronics (sounds really sweet). Everything (paint, sandpaper, p/u's, electronics, and kit) cost me something like $275. I dunno, just an idea. That way you can get a new body, neck, whatever down the road instead of buying a whole new guitar. If the person that builds the guitar knows what their doing, it'll be an **excellent** starter guitar.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My answer would probably depend on the size of her hands. If she has small ones, she might prefer a Strat or Tele type instrument, but people with bigger hands often prefer a Les Paul type, or something else with a wider neck, like a BC Rich. Why not take her down to the GC (or your local equivalent) and let her play around for a while? She can ogle all the "expensive" guitars, maybe that'll give her something to look forward to, and additional incentive to practice. :)

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Bingo.

Schecter Omen 6 I believe goes for $300 on the dot.... and on first glance and sound.... you'd think it was like a $600 guitar. I highly recommend it.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Gretsch Electromatic series...

10. Epiphone Les Paul Special II starter pack , or by itself. Great beginner guitar, its what i started on and it beats a squier strat any day of the week .

11. I'll have to second the Ibanez. My brother bought one for his first guitar and love it. Now it's been passed down to me and I'm teaching myself a few chords on it and think its great for beginners.

12. I am going to be getting an electric guitar soon, still play bass. Just to play around and learn a certain few songs that I really want to know that you just couldn't play on bass like that (solos and what not).

whAtEvU

Just thought I would interject.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm starting guitar, and I'm playing around on my brother's Peavey Raptor 1 and Rage 158 amp. Amp is ok, guitar is fine for people on their first go. I'm going to get an Essex tele for my birthday (November) and new pickups for Christmas. The tele is $99 USD, and SX instruments are AWESOME bargains.

14. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Hmm... Any other opinions on the Epiphone Les Paul Special II? It looks like it'd be a good start for her, although the reviews I've read are giving me the impression that everything besides the guitar in the package deal is fall-apart-bad.

15. If thats what you would want I'd say get the guitar by itself.. 150 at zzounds http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPISPII and then just by some cheap practice amp separately.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  17. Art and Lutherie Wild Cherry Acoustic. For around 300 bucks. My first guitar, i still love it.