1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beginner help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jordan_p99, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Hey guys im new to this site as a user but have been reading fourms for quite sometime and im lookin to buy a bass.
    I need some help deciding beetween a 4 and a 5, i go to my local music stores all the time just to play around on the basses they have and i am on the fence still about a 5 but it ties into my love for metal music and most of my idols play a 5 string.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers! Forgot to add in i am looking at a total price just north of $600cad

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    Sounds like you want a 5'er. Go for it!

LowActionHero, MrLenny1 and dxb like this.
  3. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply man
    I do but I am on the fence about it ive heard people do run into trouble when using low wattage amps I plan on going with nothing more than 25-40w for home use and im concerned it wont be enough.

4. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    What’s your budget? There’s a lot of knowledge on this site. I’m sure a lot of people will chime in to help.

5. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    I completely forgot to add that ill tell you first, basses im looking at are around $500cad and amps are $200cad and under
    the feel and styiling of the ibanez sr300 and the yamaha trbx350 but i am open to suggestion. Now ill add it too the main thread.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Is this your first bass and amp?

Do you plan to play in a band soon?

Maureen M and BurnOut like this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would usually recommend a 4 string bass, as a 4 string player myself and of the believe that nothing more is really needed.

However, when that is said I do realize that some types of music does call for going lower than low E, or the other way around at the same time is in need of what the high G string can provide as well, which means stringing a 4 string B-E-A-D won't help you out much.

Further more there will be a slight difference in how you play a 4 and a 5 string, and I simply can't rule out that 5 string might simply be more accommodating for how you prefer to play, as even if generally speaking it will be more comfortable to play on the narrower fretboard of a 4 string, a 5 string will generally require of you to move less around on the neck.

Also doing something just because others do it is generally a rather poor reason for doing something, but if you are sure you are going to need a 5 stringer and are going to acquire and end up playing one anyway down the road, then it's really a no brainer, and in that case you should go get yourself a 5 string bass to start with.

If on the other hand you only want a 5 string bass cause someone you think is cool play one, then I guess you'll have to be more careful before you decide.

My best advice would perhaps be for you to go to some musical instrument shops and actually try out both some 4 and some 5 strings and then see what fits you best.

Also this video might help you (5 reasons each for and against playing a 5 string bass):

9. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Indeed it will be!

10. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    I am for sure not doing this for looks at all :) I want what is going to be best musically.

I mention a 5 as it is what alot of artists i routinely listen too play but im never ruling out a 4 as an option its going to be a difficult desicion as i love both. I have picked up and felt both from the few different brands i have in my local music stores and the string spacing and feel on a 4 is really great especially on the ibanez sr300 and the yamaha TRBX300.

The same can be said about some 5's ive tried they feel great its just im worried using a low wattage amp is not going to give enough omph(power) for that low b-string.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    @Jordan_p99

Just edited my post to include a video, exactly on the topic why you should or shouldn't chose to play a 5 string bass, that might help you choosing.

If it's the performance of your amp that is bothering you I suppose the obvious right answer would be to get a new amp.

I realize you might not have the money for both a new bass and a new amp, but limiting yourself because of the limitations of one of your tools does seem rather counterproductive to me in any possible way.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  12. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    :'D I actually watched this video not too long ago, I have watched alot of scotts bass lessons videos for tips.

NoiseNinja and BurnOut like this.
  13. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sorry, have a bad habit of posting prematurely, before I have actually finished what I want to say and am satisfied with my posts.

Just edited my second reply as well to include a comment on the problem with your amp.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with choosing whatever is the right thing for you. :)

14. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Its alright it happens and also i am a beginner lookin to buy, i currently do not have a rig im looking for suggestions and wisdom more or less. I maybe have looked a little over my head and has made the idea a little daunting about going for a 5 string and of course the budget constraints also play a huge roll to it aswell.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  15. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'd go 4 till ya get the hang of things. You can always drop D tune for the extra lows, or do the BEAD thing too. I like playing drop D quite a bit. Get a 5er when and if you're ready.
    As Stumbo said are you getting in a band?, and you should. I made the mistake of buying a small amp in the beginning. Got in a band almost immediately, it was to small, had to get a big one so I could keep up. Rarely use the little one at all.
    For practice I just use a multi fx pedal and headphones, most have an aux input for playing along with stuff, and drum beat too. Plus all the different sounds to figure out what you like. A used nice one would be no more than $50 +/-
    I'm a firm believer in used gear, way more bang for your buck, plus you ain't crying when it gets a ding in it.

16. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Of course the goal is too learn the instrument well and play in a band when ready and so what do you suggest as reference for an amp maybe an rumble from fender over 40w? Ampeg?

BurnOut likes this.
  17. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    By the way, welcome to TalkBass!
    People here are big on the Rumbles. Couldn't tell ya about smaller watt ones. I bought an Acoustic B20 I think, rarely use it at all.
    Get ya an old Peavey TNT or Max Bass I think they're called, they go for cheap on the used market. They're loud, battle tank amps, heavy but so what.
    I'd still go the multi fx pedal to practice on, plus you can plug it in your amp too. I've only been at this coming on 3 years now, switched from guitar, so I'm still figuring out stuff too.
    Big old heavy 410 cabs are going cheap now too, as the new light stuff is all the rage, you could probably get a decent used head and cab for 250-300

18. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I have done my best learning playing with other people.

19. Jordan_p99

Jordan_p99

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks for the pointers man means alot and that is what im looking for if i dont go with maybe an new rumble im looking for a peavey ive heard a few and man do they sound incredible. And if i cant go head and cab ill go for a higher wattage combo.

BurnOut likes this.
  20. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    40 W is sufficient for playing guitar in a band in most cases, however the lower frequencies require more power for them to reach the same sound level, so you would be looking at a solid state/class D 100 W amp, at very minimum, more like 200 W if you want to be on the safe side of things.

Tube amps tend to be more power efficient in terms of getting the sound across, and in case you chose to buy a tube amp (which in my opinion sounds better, at least for some applications, but also are considerably more expensive) 100 W should be fine.

There are probably people here who'll advise you to buy an even more powerful amp, and claim that what I recommended won't be sufficient, but honestly I don't agree with those, I've done fine with less than I mentioned in rather loud bands playing rather hard and noisy rock, and I never had any problems with hearing my self or being heard.

Finally, at least where I come from, most bigger venues where a bigger amp otherwise would be required to be heard properly, do usually have their own PA, which means that the wattage of your amp is never really going to be a problem, since you can just run your bass through a DI or have the cabinet of your amp miked up.

As for which brand of amp to chose it's really a matter of personal preferences, though the Fender Rumble amps get a lot of love around here.

Personally I prefer the sound of older (around the 90's), pre Gibson and Peavey, Trace Elliot amps, which you of cause would have to find used.

The old Trace Elliot amps are also known for being conservatively rated regarding watts, which means they will usually put out much more power then they rated to, playing louder compared to most other amps at similar rated wattage.

A really cheap option for a new amp, that I think actually sounds good judging from the YouTube demos I watched, could eventually be a Kustom KXB100 or a Kustom KXB200 solid state combo, respectively rated for 100 W and 200 W.

Stumbo and Whippet like this.