1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cressers, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cressers

cressers

Jul 22, 2012
    Hi Guys
    This is my first post.
    OK I've bought my first bass and I am going to take it to a tech to set it up.
    Apparently I have to take my favorite strings along for him to set the bass up.
    Er, I don't know what my favorite strings are!
    What should i get?
    My favorite bass players are Verdine White, Robin Duhe, Stuart Zender, Bernard Edwards, Paul Denman etc
    The bass i have purchased is a Warwick,
    Thank you

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you don't have an allergy to nickel... may I recommend a set of Rotosound 66 nickels? bright and warm without the fret eating tendencies of most stainless steel rounds, especially the 66 steels.
    The Warwick will likely have brass fretwire and you shouldn't use Stainless steel rounds unless you have to / really want to.

You can always try flats.... chromes are nice :D

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    A warwick huh.l Have the tech widen the string slots for both peices of the bridge so you can use whatever strings you want. Warwick bridges often wont fit other mfg strings for the low E & B and sometimes the A string cause they make the string slots to narrow. Metal file to widen as warwick themself suggests.

For strings 45-105 gauge set as regular/common used bass string gauges. If theres nothing youd change about the basses sound then Id say use warwicks strings for now, Keep in mind that some warwick B, E & A strings wont fit the bridge peices right either so slot widen with file is still suggested.