Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner here - what bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadsdefects, Jul 30, 2003.

1. dadsdefects

dadsdefects

Jul 30, 2003
    ive got about 250 bucks and i wanna play bass ill buy new or used and i was wondering what are some good basses in my price range for beginners

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Though I've never actually owned one, I've heard some good comments about the Fender Squier series of guitars. I believe they are Japanese made, good quality and sound for the money. Some of the others who have owned them will come along at some point and tell us about them, I hope.

I did a search in the Basses forum for 'Basses under $300' and came up with this.

Seems as if there has been a lot discussed where basses under $300 come up.

3. dadsdefects

dadsdefects

Jul 30, 2003
    hey thanks a lot ill be checking that out.... ne body else got nemore help

4. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    yes..I have a Squier..they are alright,if you find a good one..the quality of them vairy(like most basses)...try buying a good used bass,or an Essex...they are talked about very much on here.my friend just bought one,it is super sweet..you can get them at www.rondomusic.com I would probably go with that..then buy an amp later...but if you do diecede to go the Squier route,go for the "Standered" series squier,they are better than the "affinity" series..good luck finding a bass that fits you.

5. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    My vote goes to Essex. I bought an Essex Jazz for about 130$ and i was amazed at the sound of it. Worth much more than 130$ IMO. Check out the Essex megathread.

6. 2099

Jul 4, 2003
    If you decide to get a Squier, I'm selling mine for fairly cheap. I sent you a PM.

7. My first bass was a Yamaha RBX-260. Plugged it in for the first time in a while (I've been using it as the bass I play if I'm laying around on the couch, holidays you see) and was very impressed.

Solid instrument, I wouldn't sell it a) its not worth enough to warrant the sale, b) its my first bass I'll probly keep until I die.

Josh D

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I would go for the essex idea from rondomusic.com. Plus Kurt is a great guy to deal with there. Enough money left over to change the bridge and maybe even a set of pickups.

9. My vote, if anyone is counting :), is on the Essex PJ Vintage 4-string. It costs about the same but you get that enormous bottom, from the P pup, and the bridge J pup is great for funk.

*shrug* my 2 shekels.

ed

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    One of my students as an Essex. I think that it is pretty much unplayable, especially for a beginner. The action can not be set up to play well without a ton of buzzing. The neck feels like a 2 x 4. I stay as far away from the Essex as possible.

For $250, I'd look into a used Korean MTD (Kingston) or Spector

Mike

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  12. A 5 for a beginner? Don't get that recommendation that much. As for the Essex basses..I love mine, totally playable and sounds very good. No buzzing (except from my bad cable...) and it doesn't feel like a 2x4, but than again we all have our opinions and I respect yours Mike!

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The thing about many inexpensive basses is the lack of quality control. Some might be good and others not so much. When your making that purchase via the internet or mail order, it can be risky

Mike

14. Yes it can...I took a risk and it turned out to be a good one for me...but who knows, maybe he got a bad bass?

15. Well I'm also a beginner who wanted a bass and amp under 300 and here is my thread from a couple months back, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81699 In the end I bought a Yamaha RBX 200 for 190 thogh now they have a newere model the BB something for the same price (Samash/Guitar Center) and I bought a nice Crate 15 watt amp for 80. Both were purchased at Guitar Center.

16. though I've yet to play an Essex, I hear so many good things about them for their price, it's like stealing, supposedly. I've never personally gotten to try one but a lot of Tbers love em

17. I don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha for a first bass. Mine is the RBX-370, and I have just put new strings on (Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys) and IMO I think it sounds better than a Mexican P-Bass, which are far more expensive.

Also, try and get a decent 2nd hand amp, don't make the mistake I did and buy one out of desperation. I paid £60 for a crappy 20w Stagg amp yet paid £145 for a booming 100w Trace Elliot.

And welcome to TB...hope ya have fun here.

18. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    my first bass was also a yamaha rbx-260 very good first bass, nto cheap and nasty. ive just got an olp 5 string now, really impressed with it, maybe also look at gettin the 4 string version
    cheers man

19. dadsdefects

dadsdefects

Jul 30, 2003
    hey guys thanks a lot for all this i went to guitar center last night and checked out some basses and im guna be on all day checking out these sites and stuff thanks again