beginner here - what bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadsdefects, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I'd try an Essex if it were me. However, I've played those entry level Yamahas and they really are very very good for the price. You're not taking a chance going with one. Take a look at low end Corts and Deans from your local shop as well.

2. Wow..has anyone mentioned this yet?? Go to your local shop and try out some basses! See how you like them THEN decide.

3. I've never played an essex, but I know I LOVE my squier-P. Don't outweigh price for that special fender GROWL. Listen for it, it's why fenders still rule.

4. dabshire

dabshire Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I think you can get a used Fender Mexi P or Jazz for around 250......

They are great basses for a beginner bass (better than the Squire's in my opinion)...

Don

5. 12notes

12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    Get one of the Essex P bass for about $100. A set of better strings for $20 - $25. A good cable for $12. A 2.5 inch wide nylon strap for $2.(If you like flatwounds sound, get the Fender flat. They're not as sexy as the more hyped brands, but Fender flats rocks. But their roundwounds suck. Or get some D'Addario XL for round wounds. Both are very inexpensive and good. Or get the D'Addario half-grounds for a little bit more.) Then get the killer good Behringer BX300 bass amp (excellent practice and recording, German design, made in China amp. With all the I/O you'll need.) for another $99.

Now you're set for many happy bassing years to come. :)

I also have real Fenders. The Essex can stands proudly by their side. BTW.This old fart only recommend what I have actually own and keep. ;)

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does your $250 range include the bass and amp or just the bass? You WILL want an amp as well.

Check out this link published by Bass Player magazine for 'How to Buy The Right Bass'
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/howtobuy.shtml

Definitely go to your local shop and determine which type/brand of bass suits you and shop from there. Most shops around me carry similar brands but some other shops carry brands that the larger Guitar Center or SamAsh won't have. Just shop around. Obviously, you will pay more at a shop but you can test out many basses then search for a used model in the classifieds or Ebay for the one you like.

Essex "appears" to be the perfect beginner bass. Check to see if Rondo Music (Essex basses) has a return policy in case you are not happy with it. Verify that you can return the bass regardless if there are any flaws or defects. Some return policies only allow returns/exchanges for defective items only.