1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner In Need Of Suggestions For New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 0afish, Sep 27, 2017.

1. I've been playing the bass religiously for the past few months and I'm wanting to upgrade my amp, as I've been playing off some cheap starter practice amp. I found a used GK MB115 combo amp online, for only 220 bucks (which I thought was a steal), but turns out the speaker was blown out. So now I'm in the market of another used amp for around 2-3 hundred dollars, and as I don't know much about this sort of thing, I thought I'd turn to you guys for help. Any suggestions?

P.S. The amp needs to be around 200-300 dollars used (not new).
    P.P.S. A little out of price range is fine.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Are you looking for a better sounding practice amp, or something you can gig with?

3. Well I'm not doing any gigs yet, but I'd like one that leaves that possibility open.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If gigging is a strong consideration, I would suggest a combo with a 15" speaker like an Ampeg BA-115, or B100R. Otherwise, there are plenty of good 1x10 and 1x12 combos from Fender, Ampeg, Hartke, Peavey, etc. in your price range.

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Warwick BC 20 or BC 40 are great practice amps: small, light, easy to position up high, has a lot of low bass tone, and no distortion. They are easy on power consumption, don't get hot, and can play for hours. The cabinet is well designed and the components are high quality.

They are great practice amps that sound great with a transparent sound that allows you to hear exactly how you are playing. The BC40 can do small room gigs with acoustic instruments, but they are not full on stage gig amps. When you get to the level of gigging and need a stage amp, a good stage amp will be in order. Nevertheless, you'll still have the Warwick practice amps to practice on at home with low volumes.

6. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    The rumble 40 is a cute combo that has the advantage of being ridiculously light to move around if that's helpful to you.

7. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    You could find a used Traynor SB112 or SB115 in your price range. I have the SB112 which is now running my Roland TD-11 drum kit though I take it to open jams / house parties where space is a premium. It sounds good and can get pretty loud, it can keep up with some drunken blues slingers on their Strats / Fender Reverbs. I've heard nothing but good things about its 15" big brother.

It's also sturdy enough to double as a seat for a guy who needs to eat fewer sandwiches!

8. I don't know if it's just because of my short comings, but I can't find either one of those amps for under 400 dollars.
    Edit: Also I see you're from Canada, so just to make it clear we are talking in american currency here.

9. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    As far as used ones that you can buy online, a used TC Electronic BG 250 would do the trick and be under $300. Past that, I would maybe keep an eye out for a used Rumble 500 combo, which would probably run closer to $400 - 450. You can also keep an eye out on your local Craigslist and see if anything comes up like an old Peavey head with a 115 cab. These are usually pretty powerful and reasonably priced, but are quite heavy and can be impractical to ship for this reason.

10. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    I got an EBS reidmar and an EBS classicline 1X12 cabinet. It is quite nice up to small-venue-gigs[local bar/cafeteria size] and ok for everything else. Super VfM

got it for 700 euros (maybe it would be cheaper in the US , everything is cheaper there...)

Anything decent over 100-120 wats can get you very far.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Check out a GK MB112. Cheaper than the 115, but still 200w. I use it for rehearsals and the thing kicks.

basslust and Conkal like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Right now, a BRAND NEW Carvin MB15 is on sale for $299. Super light. Loud. And new.

MB15 Micro Bass Amp 15 Inch

Later you can save up some money and get the matching extension cab for another couple hundred. Then you'll have a 2-15 stack. That'll do gigs easy.

115MBE Micro Bass Extension Cabinet

Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

MrLenny1, Ed Byrnes and eriky4003 like this.
  13. For me it says $399.99
    or do I need to use that coupon code?

14. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    I think the Carvin MB15 is cool, only problem is that the cab is tiny and not very loud. I don't think it would hold up in a band situation on its own. With the second 15, sure, but that's another $170. For $470 new, it's not a bad rig at all though.

15. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    I think either the MB112-II or MB115-II are a pretty good choice in this situation. Loud enough to practice with a band at lower volumes and play smaller venues, and you can add the powered extension cab (112 MBP or 115 MBP) down the road to play larger venues or practice at louder volumes (or in larger rooms). This is good because most 200 watt combo amps would be underpowered when hooking up an extension cab, but GK solves this by making a special powered extension cab for this series. I would definitely go for the II series (black grill cloth) rather than the I series (silver grill) to be able to add the extension cab if needed. It looks like used prices for the MB-112-II are around $250 and the MB-115-II are around $350, so I'd probably go for the 115 if you can swing it.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. Or call. They have great customer service.

17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This^^^ Just $199 new & shipped. Quite a few bass players use the Rumble 40 for personal practice even if their gig rig is a different brand. The Rumble 100 1x12 combo is $299. For gigging the Rumble 200 combo is what I use. You can find one used in very good to excellent condition through Guitar Center in the $350 range.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    The powered extension cabs are what I really love about the MB series. I had the older version of the MB115, and a Crate 115 combo. Personally I like the sound of 12s better than 15s. I currently gig with the MB212-ii and couldn’t be happier.

Both are great amps though.

19. Curious, is the GK 112MBP the same thing as the MB112-II? They look similar and have the same specs on gallien-krueger.com? Because I cant find a MB112 for under 300 dollars but the 112MBP I can find for around 270. So is there some major difference between them?

20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes they're different! The MB112 is the full fledged amp/cab combo (with all of the preamp bells and whistles that you'd normally expect from a combo), and the 112MBP is the powered extension cabinet that's meant to be paired as an extension with one of their MB combos.