Beginner Ineed Of Advice For Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0afish, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Okay so I'm a bass player of 4 months give or take, and I've been playing off of a Fender Squier Jazz Bass Starter Kit up until now, and I've decided to upgrade. I posted a thread here: Help Beginner Bassist Wanting To Upgrade and I received a ton of useful advice. Baised off said advice, instead of upgrading everything like my initial plan, I decided to upgrade the amp to a 'Gallien-Krueger MB115 Ultralight 200W 1x15 Bass Combo Amp' which I found used for $220. I'm also upgrading the bridge of my bass to a badass II; and I'm looking to upgrade the pickups as well. I'm also looking to take it to a tech to set it up. For strings I'm deciding between the D'Addario EPS170-6 and Rotosound RS66LE.

Any advice?

Edit: Decided not to upgrade the bridge or pickups

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Bass V, Pbassmanca and wintremute like this.
  2. I would rather upgrade pickups before a bridge. A bridge will do nothing, but if you like the way it looks, do it.

3. For reals though. Just play your bass for more than 3 months. At least a year. It took me 10 years to figure out the sound I was going for.

Upgrade strings if you want a change. Find the strings that you like that sing on your bass. Remember every time you change gauge or brands you'll have to do a setup. You have the perfect bass to learn how to do proper setups. Most of it is pretty easy. Read the stickes and research.

Once you found stings that you like you may not even want to upgrade your pickups, or maybe even just decide to upgrade your whole bass. Pickups are like strings. You really have to know the sound your after. Slapping upgrades just to upgrade is pretty fruitless.

osonu, smogg, MobileHolmes and 3 others like this.
  4. Also I don't have any experience with the combo you're looking at, but I love GK and all I have ever used. I'm sure there are better, but have always been happy with them. Once you get a real amp, you might not want to do anything else for a while but practice.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    The amp is a good move, but I wouldn't spend a dime upgrading your bass. Play it as is and save your pennies until you can get a quality bass.

6. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Way to soon to upgrade, just play the bass.

Hi-End Basses and Pedal2DaMeddle like this.
  7. I don't understand you're logic here, I'm going to have to upgrade someday, why not sooner rather than later? As really the only difference it will make is that I'll have better stuff quicker.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The logic is simple, there is no good reason to upgrade. Any 4 string bass part on Earth can be played on your bass. It could be used without paling on any pro stage.
    Buying another bass or improving yours is moot at this point because you won't be in a position to appreciate the difference.
    If you really want to burn money, do it on lessons but don't get into buying much gear. It's counterproductive.

A new amp however is a good idea but only if you plan to use it out of your bedroom.

btmpancake, osonu, MrLenny1 and 5 others like this.
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    First, forget about the bridge, unless your bridge is causing some problem. Second, what specifically do you not like about your current sound and what specific sound are you looking for? Unless you can answer those questions, you are taking a shot in the dark replacing pickups.

You would be far better off getting a good pro setup on your current bass and playing that until you can afford a substantial upgrade. You need to go to a music store and play a lot of different basses to find out what feel and sound you like.

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    This. A setup, and new strings. Money WELL spent!

11. Yeah I decided against upgrading the bass and pickup. I'm going to get it setup however and I'm still upgrading the amp. As for sound, I'm still not quite sure what I want; however I am a big fan of Geddy Lee's tone.

12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    The logic is that you have been playing for 4 months. You don't know anything about a bass or the sound it should do.

Learn the fretboard, learn how to correctly use your right hand and your left hand. Learn how to mute. Learn how to do ghost notes. Slapping. Thumb playing. So many things that you in 4 months don't possibly know how to do well.

Instead of buying some pickups that you will barely notice any difference, buy some learning books with cds or DVDs, or buy some lessons in youtube, or just play, play a lot. Learn how to move the knobs on the bass, the different kinds of blends on your bass. Then see what (if anything) detail in your sound you don't like. Is it to bright? To much bass? Lack of power on the E? To much "guitar" on the G string?

The only way you will know this things about your bass is if you spend time with it, playing.

So, way to soon to be upgrading your bass, in my opinion. You don't know what you have yet, how could you possibly know what you want?

A good setup and good strings, that is money well spent. Not pickups or bridge on a four month player. Doesn't make any sense to me.

But that is just my opinion. I could be right or wrong. But it is honestly what I think, that is what you wanted when you posted a thread on the forum, right?

In the end, it's your decision and it will be the correct one, because it is up to you.

Oddly, Conkal and Frank77 like this.
  13. Well as I said before and in the edit of the post, I've decided against upgrading the bridge/pickups. And FYI I do know how to ghost note and mute, however I haven't started learning slap or thumb. Also I am of the opinion there is no "correct way" to do anything when it comes to music, there are no rules in music only guidelines. And I've been playing consistently 4-6 hours a day and I believe myself to be fairly intermediate despite only playing for a short while.

14. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well..... Here's my thing. My wife took up running. She went on a quest for the best running shoes she could find. It cost a lot. Didn't help her running. I coached little league 8 year old baseball. So many of those kids came with fifty dollar gloves and hundred dollar bats. Didn't do a thing for their skills........ You are at a place right now where your wonderful enthusiasm and drive have you learning at lightspeed. That's good. Continue to use that enthusiasm to upgrade your own skills. Equipment upgrades will happen the rest of your life. I been upgrading for forty years!

Zapple, MobileHolmes and J_Bass like this.
  15. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Don't take it as an insult toward your playing. At 4 months, most people would still be in the beginning stage of learning. I've been playing guitar and bass for years and still feel like a beginner.

16. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    This. Come back when you can play 20 songs right. The entire songs all the way through.

17. I understand this and I take no insult to it, and I know I might've come off as cocky and I still definitely consider myself a beginner as nothing can replace experience experience I suppose I just worded it wrong.

18. Looks like I'm back than.

Oddly and 4StringTheorist like this.
  19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Ok. Post a couple then.