1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Keys book for a 12yo

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Nov 4, 2018.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Wasn't quite sure if this question should be posed here, or in miscellaneous, or the general instruction forum.

My girlfriend just got her 11yo son a decent Casio keyboard to tinker around on, and I want to strike while his interest iron is still very hot with this new gadget, and gift him a basic theory book very soon to get him started learning the notes, keys, and how to make chords on it.

He's smart and surprisingly mature for his age, but he's still a kid, so if he isn't having fun learning it, he'll soon hang it up in favor of the next thing that doesn't require too much work (he has no aspirations to attend the Berkley School of Music in his future... Yet!)

It's his first instrument. The first night he had it, he figured out how to play most of the opening notes of the Pink Panther Theme (although I could tell it was in the wrong key.)

Preferably a book that uses more contemporary song examples than Mary Had A Little Lamb and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star... They need not be known songs, just a little cooler.

I always felt the Hal Leonard books were good choices, and this beginner one that popped up (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/boo...bU6Si8bOE-dbDbLgTGNVTakPpIehwBmxoCweQQAvD_BwE) might be fine, but I thought it best to check the collective TB wisdom before making a move.

Any better suggestions here from teen instructors or TBers with kids who might have been down a similar road??? :help:

Throw some suggestions at me pronto if ya got em :) Thanks!

2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Well, due to a lack of a better recommendation, that's the book we went with. It'll be at his house when he gets back on Thurs after school.

I'm practically as excited as the kid :) If he doesn't seem to show much aptitude for it, I'll buy him a pair of earphones and get some earplugs for his Mom :laugh: