Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner lefty bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lunchbox5424, Dec 22, 2003.

1. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    I'm looking at getting my first bass soon. I was wondering what was a good left handed bass to start with. I'm not really looking to spend a ton of cash right off the bat. As I see no need for me to have a $600+ bass right at the moment. I know this has been asked numerous times, but I couldnt find much info on newb lefty bass'.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Most basses are available in lefty, too, nowadays (of course there are exceptions... :rolleyes: ) the problem will be rather that there wont be any in the shop, so you will have to ask them to order one, and that you can only try out more basses if you try a righty...
    What type of music do you want to play?
    How much money are you wiling to pay? You know that cheaper ones are usually worse quality and construction, so getting a too cheap one might leave you with a POS that will be hard to play, therefore depriving you of the joy of playing bass... But that doesnt mean that you have to get a too expensive one, either. For a beginner bass, $400-$600 will get you a very decent bass, quality and construction-wise. I recommend the Warwick Rockbass Corvette, great value for the price; Ibanez makes some good basses for a bit less; there are also basses that are cheap, but quite good (like Essex, Brice, MTD), but I have no experience with them, so the others might be of more help to you.

Anyway, however you chose, good luck with it and welcome to the world of BASS!

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't have a choice, but i have to play lefty (i have interesting wrist problems). if you have a choice, play righty - you will thank me later.

just because you may be a left handed person, doesn't mean that you need to play lefty bass. if you are just a beginner, switch to righty.

you won't have a choice of basses - this is what i deal with all the time.

take my advice

:)

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm... those who know more about cheaper basses dont seem to be checking in so far. Look up Essex (sometimes written SX) and MTD Heir and Kingston series (not hte 535 series that Micheal Tobias makes, that would be a bit steep fo you now :D ) in the topics or do a search - some good stuff will most probably come up.
    Good luck!

5. Um I know this has already been said but... as a beginner I also recommend just playing righty. If you are just learning it's really not that hard, even from the beginning it didn't feel funny because I had never reallyplayed bass before so it would feel funny either way. But now I can go to GC or whereever and try stuff out because most displayed basses are rightys. I think it is just way easier in the long run.

6. I'm not a lefty, but, I'd agree with the people and say...learn righty...you havent started yet, so, it wont be awkward...

7. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i also say play righty... it sucks really bad when you find a bass you love & then find out they are not made for leftys *cough*SB1000*cough*

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I hate jumping on bandwagons but here I go. Play a right handed bass. You'll thank yourself later. I'm quite left handed and I actually think that having a more coordinated fretting hand helped me learn very quickly. I don't have to frantically look around for a good left handed bass either. Just conform and be right handed. Please....

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i really wish i was able to play righty. i look at the basses some of the people get to go try out. i'm so jealous.

in case you are wondering, i just can't turn my left wrist all the way to fret a righty! it really sucks, but it's too late in the ballgame to switch.

once again, play righty - you will be thanking us later!

10. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    Ya'll have a point. If I've never played how can it be weird to me.
    Anyway I want to play hard rock/metal. A few of my friends are decent guitarist, so I thought it would be fun to join in.
    As for insporation, that would be Fieldy.I love his style/sound.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    an example - go to musiciansfriend.com and look at all the basses they have for righties - then look at the lefties section.

i don't think they offer the Fieldy bass in lefty. starting and learning to play the bass is truly a great thing. you are going to want to have as many choices as possible.

;) :)

12. lunchbox5424

lunchbox5424

Dec 22, 2003
    Ut
    Ok I have another question. I dont have anything so I have to buy it all. That takes a large chunk out of my bass buying budget. So would I want to get a decent bass & cheap amp, good amp & cheap bass, or one of those package deal things. This is honestly supposed to be my christmas present, thats why I'm trying to balance price/quality. I'm not a greedy bast@rd.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would go with the best bass your budget can give and get a little headphone amp to practice.

that's just me.

14. I'm glad they've changed your mind. As a super Lefty I'm thankful to Mom (also a lefty) for carting me to every place in town and pestfully asking the lefty-righty question to every one she could find. Every one said righty! As far as starters go I say Fender or Squire, cuz everyone should have at least 1 Fender under their belt even if they move on, spend 2/3 or 3/4 of your budget on bass and the rest on a decent practice amp that will drive a decent set of head phones.

15. I say just get the best bass thats reasonably possible... and worry about the amp later. It will probably suck for awhile but it shouldn't take too long at all to save up for a practice amp. I say don't worry bout the amp and get a good bass.

16. Friends don't let lefty's plays lefty.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but as a lefty, I feel very strongly that you should learn to play righty. (Of course, if you're a lefty and you've learned to play lefty, you've already invested in your technique, so forget about switching.)

A lefty has no disadvantage playing righty because YOU HAVE TO USE BOTH OF YOUR HANDS ANYWAY. They don't have lefty pianos, yet lefty's do just fine on them.

To lefty's who complain about the lack of lefty instruments: it's your own friggin' fault so stop whining and shutup!!!

17. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I play lefty and God I wish I had learned right handed. I have had to pass up so many basses due to being Right handed. If you do decide to go with a lefty handed I purchased my first bass a G&L SB1 for $400 dollars. Great bass. You might check out Scheacter.

Good luck

18. You should check out southpawguitars.com. They usually have a number of fairly inexpensive basses that may be in your price range. Also Carvin makes lefty basses and doesn't charge extra for them.

Last year I picked up a 1986 Ibanez Roadstar II on Ebay for under $200, and in mint condition. Lefty basses are out there, you just have to keep looking and be patient.

Good luck!

19. My band's guitarist and my best friend is left-handed, and he does everything but play guitar left-handed. He says he has an advantage in that he has a lot more control with his fretting hand, and I believe him, he rarely messes up. So I agree with the majority, go right handed and best of luck to you.

20. Strange, but a lot of the pawn shops and local music places around here will sell a used lefty for a good deal less than a righty. Usually 30-40% off. But they are usually not "top-of-the-line" equipment, so I guess that's a mixed blessing... I see what you're saying, Assumer.

As to the original post, I got a quote about a year and a half ago on an MTD Kingston lefty for $279 new:eek: . I clarified to the store that I was a righty, and they gave me a $400+ something quote. I don't remember were it was, though...somewhere in Georgia or Florida (maybe basscentral.com). It was enough off to make me consider getting the lefty (but only briefly;) )