1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beginner Level 5 String Songs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I am a bass instructor who plays/teaches both 4 and 5 string bass, and I usually get students who learn on 4 string first and then progress to 5 later on. However, I just got a new student who is learning from zero on a 5 string and while I know a ton of more advanced 5 string songs to work on with my students, I just realized that I don't know too many beginner level 5 string songs - I can't think of any easy songs that use a fiver!

So, anyone got any ideas for beginner level 5 string songs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Whatever you do, DON'T teach him korn!!

Start him off with some Primus...haha

Well I started on a 5 string aswell, Taking Back Sunday has a 5 player and their songs are fairly easy. Not sure on other mind, I made up most of my lines.

3. Some Audioslave songs are in dropped B or 5 string tuning, theyre pretty easy. check out Gasoline, The Worm, What You Are and Bring Em Back Alive.

4. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    basically all songs played on a 4 can be played on a 5.

5. Yes, but I am trying to be sure to not have my student use the low b for a thumb rest AND i am trying to find him some really world application of the 5 string, not modification of a 4 string song. When I have him start playing along I want him to play the song as it's recorded so that he is not confused.

6. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Figured You Out, Nickelback.

7. Bass_x_Masta

Bass_x_Masta

Feb 14, 2006
    Freak on a Leash - Korn

Doesn't Slap on this one, should help him develop timing

8. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    How about teaching a simple song, maybe country 1/5's or a blues pattern in Eb. Have the student work from the low Eb (4th fret) on the B string.

That's the type of situation that prompted me to buy a 5 string in the first place, working with keys/horns in the flat keys.