Beginner Level 5 String Songs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I am a bass instructor who plays/teaches both 4 and 5 string bass, and I usually get students who learn on 4 string first and then progress to 5 later on. However, I just got a new student who is learning from zero on a 5 string and while I know a ton of more advanced 5 string songs to work on with my students, I just realized that I don't know too many beginner level 5 string songs - I can't think of any easy songs that use a fiver!

So, anyone got any ideas for beginner level 5 string songs?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Whatever you do, DON'T teach him korn!!

Start him off with some Primus...haha

Well I started on a 5 string aswell, Taking Back Sunday has a 5 player and their songs are fairly easy. Not sure on other mind, I made up most of my lines.
  3. Some Audioslave songs are in dropped B or 5 string tuning, theyre pretty easy. check out Gasoline, The Worm, What You Are and Bring Em Back Alive.
  4. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    basically all songs played on a 4 can be played on a 5.
  5. Yes, but I am trying to be sure to not have my student use the low b for a thumb rest AND i am trying to find him some really world application of the 5 string, not modification of a 4 string song. When I have him start playing along I want him to play the song as it's recorded so that he is not confused.
  6. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Figured You Out, Nickelback.
  7. Bass_x_Masta

Feb 14, 2006
    Freak on a Leash - Korn

Doesn't Slap on this one, should help him develop timing
  8. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    How about teaching a simple song, maybe country 1/5's or a blues pattern in Eb. Have the student work from the low Eb (4th fret) on the B string.

That's the type of situation that prompted me to buy a 5 string in the first place, working with keys/horns in the flat keys.