Beginner-lots of questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coke_sucks, Nov 6, 2000.

1. coke_sucks

Nov 6, 2000
    First off, i'm not new to the bass, but i am new to effects. So:
    1)what are the different kinds of effects?
    2)what do each of these effects do?
    3)different brand names
    4)overall recommendations
    5)effects used by good bands (rage,tool,deftones,etc.)
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to the board, er, coke_sucks.

You might want to perform a search in the Forum, as most of these topics have already been covered in one thread or another. Usually single questions that allow for a short anser tend to get the most replies.

Will C.:cool:
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'll try to answer this as good as I can:

1) There are a LOT of effects one can buy, but IMO actually very few that are usable when playing in a band. The best effect that most people use is compression. Compressors are very handy if you don't have a perfectly even attack when playing. Then we have octave dividers, chorus, flanger, envelope filters, reverb, delay, overdrive, fuzz, distortion, fretless simulation, wah, auto-wah, amp/speaker simulators, among others.
    These are either packaged as single-effect units or multi-effect units, as stompboxes, pedalboards or rack units.

3) Well... among many others, BOSS, Digitech, Danelectro, EBS, Ibanez, Zoom, Korg, Line6...

4) First, do you need effects? Would it improve your sound? Would it fit in the music you play? My guess is that 90% of the bass players use effects very seldom (except compression which is used by lots of people).

But, if you are to buy an effect, consider a sturdy stompbox instead of a weak plastic multi-effect board. You will indeed pay more money per effect, but you get better quality overall and not a lot of effects you're never going to use. And most of the time - the more expensive the unit, the better the quality.
    However, if cash is short and urge for effects is big, look into Zoom's multi-effect boards. If you have a little more cash, BOSS and EBS stompboxes are real good stuff too.

Since you like bands like RATM, you should perhaps try an overdrive or distortion box. Envelope filters are quite cool to fool around with too.
    (FYI: I have myself only an octave divider and chorus built into my amp, and I practically never use them.)

[Edited by Oysterman on 11-08-2000 at 10:51 AM]