1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Mandolin

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rob2966, Oct 1, 2008.

1. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey all,

Looking for a decent beginner mandolin. I want something that plays well and sounds good. No electronics. Under $300 would be great, under $500 mandatory.

Thanks
    Rob

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is like posting a want ad for a see-saw in the Craig's List erotic services section.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I sub in for a bluegrass band and was talking about learning to play for a while and their mandolin player recommended Epiphone or Old Hickory mandos. I want a mandobird. :D

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Don't get me wrong, I love mandy's and bluegrass, but I just found the placement of this thread odd. :D

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I know washburn makes a "mandolin pack" for like 200 or so dollars...check that one out?

6. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
  7. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    And you sure love see-saws and erotic services.

8. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Wasn't quite sure where to put it. Seemed like the logical forum (since it is not bass related).

Later
    Rob

9. I have zero experience with it, but the mandocaster looks sweet.

10. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I started out on a Kentucky A model. I feel like it was definitely a good place to start, especially considering my budget at the time. I had the KM250 model. It sounded good enough. The finish was applied well and not so thick that it dampened the instrument like so many others out there. They also have a KM340 that is about $100 cheaper. Some comparisons:
    http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?brand=9

Kentucky is a good investment for a beginner. The Eastman mandos are also really great but with the cheapest model listing at $650-750, they are a bit above the price most beginners will want to invest. However, I have seen some dealers that are offering some pretty big savings that might just fit your budget.

Gianna Violins lists the 504/505 A models at $650 and asks you to call in for the sale price. I'd check on it just to see what they're asking. Eastman are heads above the rest at that price point.
    http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/type/A.html

Below that, my vote is for Kentucky. Be sure to check out some of the big retailers like Elderly and Mandolin Brothers to get an idea of what's out there.
    Good luck in your quest!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The best way to "begin" with a mandolin is with a match. :p