Beginner/Mid level amps: Ampeg B2R v.s SWR W.M's 4004 v.s Gallien Krueger 400rb-IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 11, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Which one of these amps would you rather have as a "first head" ?

Ampeg B2r:
    Feature's/ Parametric and Graphic EQ,5-pos. Mid switch, solidstate, 350 Watts, and rackmountable

Price/ $549.99

Facts/ Musician's Friend calls it the "Cheaper SVT-3 Pro"
    Many reviewers think of it as a "quiet" 350 W.

Gallien Krueger 400RB-IV:
    Features/ 280 Watts, Parametric EQ,solid state, 5 string switcth, voicing filters, Toridal transformers, SOA protaction,
    and rackmountable

Facts/Most NOT talked about Gallien krueger
    Has the fewest reviews on the net in the three

SWR Workingman's 4004 :
    Features/"Head" style caseing,solid state,Graphic EQ,Aural Enhancer,400 Watts,balanced XLR out,side effects chain loop,headphone jack, High and low 1/4 inputs,small rackmount holder,Speaker on/off, and variable limiter.

Facts:Bass player gave the 210c combo (a 4004 on top of a 210 cab) a good rating for sound.
    Recieved good ratings on Harmony Central

If anyone wants to add on anything I missed or was inacurate about, be my guest.
  2. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Hartke 3500 is in the same range and is widely regarded as a great head. Of the three you have listed I like the GK the best.
  3. I like the Ampeg B2r. A buddy of mine has one, with an Ampeg BSE410H and a SWR Workingman's 410. It has plenty of volume in his band, which plays at moderate stage levels. The tone from this rig is amazing, modern, cuts through very well. I'm not sure how it would do in a loud setting, or without pa support.

I like the SWR 4004 too. However, for $200 more you could have the 8004 TOP. That's what I just purchased. Compare both amps, the 8004 has a ton more features. For the low price difference, the 8004 is actually a bargain. I recommend this amp.
  4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Just my *personal opinion*
    ...but if I wanted an Ampeg, I'd be looking at the SVT line.

If I were looking at SWR, it'd be the Professional Series.

The GK 400RB beats SWR's Professional Series and Ampeg's SVT line for bang-for-buck as well as being a long-time industry standard, so out of those I'd easily choose the 400RB.

Once again, simply my **personal opionion**
  5. Of those you mentionned, I'd probably go with the SWR. Great tone and the most power.

The problem with buying a 'first head' though is that you will invariably be unsatisfied with it and want to upgrade - so the smart thing to do would definitely be to buy used so you don't lose much on the re-sale when it comes time to upgrade.

I bought the B2R new as my second head, and I sold it about 6 months later because it just wasn't loud enough to compete with two guitarists and drums in a loud rock band. If volume is of any concern I'd avoid that amp, although it does sound awesome.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    GK 400RB-IV all the way. The Ampeg is too underpowered and the SWR, IMO, has weak tone.
  7. plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    I have played on several different amps, and the day i first played on an rb400 i bought it ! . since that day it will be really hard to get me to play on anything but a G K! mine is an older model (200w)but is easly eaqual or better than my friends heartke 300w in bouth tone and volume not to mention proven relyability.
    our bands lead player has ben playing 20+ years and tells me I have about the nicest sound he has ever worked with, and also plenty of volume.
    I completely agree to go with used as a starter, mine was a "starter" when i got back into playing and now less than a year later i want the rb800, or mabey ill even go to the big daddy on my next head. i know if i dont i will regrett it. but for now my band has a big PA so i use that to give me a litle extra in bigger venues.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    why not get a better head, used?
  9. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    of those, i'd choose SWR
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN

$489, 280 loud watts, 4 band eq (not parametric)

I love my 1001