1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEGINNER, NEED HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PudRocker182, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Hey, I'm 15 years old and brand new to this site. I just bought a Fender P-Bass. I want to know what should I do to get better. Should I take lessons, or learn on my own? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Jeremy

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Get lessons and you will not regret it one bit. Teaching yourself is not always a good idea becasue you learn your own way, which isn't always the best way. You will have to unlearn everything that you teach yourself. It will be a great investment to get a teacher before too much time goes bye.

trust me... I know... I learned the hard way :rolleyes:

Welcome to talkbass! And welcome to the bass world! Hope you have a good time :)

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Welcome to talkbass! A little advice for you;
    There are many different forums here. I'm sure this time, a friendly moderator will move this to the appropriate forum. In the future, check the list first. Not sure? Just ask. :)

I would look for a good teacher. But there is also a lot to be learned from everybody who posts here. Just keep checking the forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh, and don't forget about the search engine. Many questions you may have more than likely have been dicussed here, so check it out.

Again, welcome to talkbass!

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh yeah... read the FAQ too. Many questions have been already asked and are in there. And don't be afraid to use the search function. Infact, use it as much as possible. Many people have asked many great quesions, and there are many great answers already here. But remember, never be afraid to ask if you can't find something in the FAQ or a search :)

This forum is about BASSES specifically, as in models or companies etc. This thread would be good in General Instruction or maybe Misc. Eventually a moderator will come along and move it there.

Welcome to Talkbass:D

Nick

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    jeez beefbass, we think alike! lol

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey Pud, welcome to TB.

I suggest to take lessons..... find a known musician/teacher in your area an get some lessons, and dont forget to listen to a lot of music, any style you want/like/find, this will train your ears and mind to be a more complete musician, no matter if you only want to play bass just as a hobbie.

Good luck, and enjoy TB.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey tuba bass boy-should I be worried? LOL!!! :D

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    More advice:

Its all in the fingers, not the bass.

Turd in, turd out. (Something like that)

Less is more.

9. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Fill out your profile as well!

Oh yeah, Welcome to Talkbass.

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    maybe... ;)

And allthough it is kinda turd in turd out...

if you put gold into a turd machine, it will still end as a turd...

or something like that :D

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    lessons are like, the best thing you can get...

(also you messed up your text message when you tried to make it red, believe me when I say RED is very annoying color to read, so keep it down please)

other than that, welcome to THE bass forum

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well tuba, I see you also have a Fender BXR 100.
    Could we be long lost twins seperated at birth perhaps?

I'd post my picture so you could see, but the camera breaks everytime I look at it

:eek:

13. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    But that can't be! I'M tuba's twin brother.

On-topic: Basses are cool, I like Fenders.

14. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

hehe I feel loved. Two people fighting over my siblingship (is that a word?).

off topic-
    Hey Beefbass, what do you think about the BXR 100? I like mine a LOT, but everyone I talk to says they suck. I love the tone and volume and sound of mine... I don't know why people think they are so bad. I think it rocks...

To get back on topic...

So... how about them basses?

15. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Mine is not necessarily a dissenting opinion but an alternative method. I would suggest that you learn as much as possible on your own at first just because I would roughly estamate that it takes most folks about one year just to coordinate both hands and to get comfortable with the neck.

Once you get comfortable with the bass, take the time to shop around for an instructor that you are going to be comfortable with. Personally, I was never comfortable with guys that are formally trained. My experience has been that with guys like that If you are not up on your theory, you will have problems, especially if your primary intention is to play rock and roll! Nothing wrong with learning theory but if you get too wrapped in a book it can take the fun of things and ultimately music should be fun! Keep it at the gut level and you will not do wrong.

Lastly, remember this no matter what any book says. If it sounds right, it is right!

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ok, first off, welcome to TB. There is a lot to be learned right here in these forums. You have come to the right place.:D

Now, this thread is in the wrong forum. I am sending down to General Instruction, which is where it should have been posted.

Also, I am deleting you identical thread that you posted in this forum. Do not double post, please.

17. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    lessons.

i have toughed it out for the last 2 years self teaching. if you just want basic technique, self teaching is fine, but if you want to become a real musician and get in the school jazz band and all that goodness, lessons will make your life much easier.

i am trying to teach myself to read music, and it is a real female dog. lessons bro, lessons.

18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey tuba, I actually like my BXR 100. I had thought about getting something else once, but I'm glad I kept the Fender actually. It sounds nice, is loud enough for what I use it for, and has been pretty reliable. You could actually do worse.

I believe that starting lessons right away with a good teacher is the way to go-why try teaching yourself, then have to unlearn bad habits?
    Just my opinion though.

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Welcome to Talkbass! :) Since you're here why not check out this thread. It contains lots of helpful, instructive links:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56761

To answer your question whether to take lessons or learn on your own, my trick answer is: both. :D A good teacher is a valuable resource. As a beginner, your teacher will help you learn proper technique (such as right and left hand technique). I know everyone develops his own technique along his path, but proper in the sense that you are doing things right so as not to pick up bad habits on the way which could result in future injury. If you are learning something on your own a good teacher is someone you can come to with questions about anything. Never be afraid to ask.

The key is never stop learning. I crave to learn everything I can get my hands on. My learning doesn't stop when I get home from my lesson. I do learn lots on my own (especially from coming on TB), but I have gained so much from having a teacher. I couldn't see myself without a teacher now.

Good luck and have fun! :)
    Stephanie

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    First let me welcome you to the world of bottom dwellers and talkbass. You'll find tons of useful information in the General Instruction forum that will help you along in your quest for knowledge.

A good teacher is an invaluable tool to have, they can do things that you cant do on your own or with books and videos, the most important IMO is spotting and correcting impropor technique and answering any questions you may have about something right there on the spot and explain it over and over again to you untill theres a way that you can relate to it.

I feel that ones quest for knowledge should go beyond having a teacher as well. Meaning the student should take initiative to buy books and videos on his/her own and learn other things than what the teacher is trying to instruct.

By the way, Ive never had a formal lesson in my life and believe me when I say this, Had I have gotten a teacher when I was a beginer, I'd not have had to break a few bad habits that I had developed. The teacher is the ultimate way to go.