Beginner needing a bass for Jazz/blues/r&b music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jbroad572, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Hello all TB'ers
    Well, I play the saxophone, but want to learn the bass. I hear it will enhance my playing by learning to play with the rhythm, but the bass is awesome in my opinion anyway. I don't want to be great, but I would like to be able to hold my own one day. Anyways, I have been eyeing a few beginner models and was set on the Essex model, but wasn't sure which would suit my purpose best. Then I read about the Brice Jazz, but no longer see the model on IS there another source for it? I'd like to order one in the next day or 2. Oh, 5 string is what I'm after. Cheap as possible, no more than $250, hopefully.
    And something pretty never hurt anyone.... :cool:
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gawd, do you want an ebony fingerboard with LED's for fret markers, too? Only so much you're going to get out of a $250 bass ;)

Everyone on here says to check out the SX line of basses if you want an inexpensive Jazz that's good. I think Rondo carries them, too.
  3. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I think the SX route would be the best. I think I would like to start on a 5 string fretless, but lined would be better, starting off I think. Just wanted to make sure I was going to get one of the better models for my purpose.
  4. I just bought an Essex Jazz. It's pretty darn good.
  5. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Well, if anyone cares, I ordered a Brice HXB-405 Fretless. Got the last one they had available for $219 + bag ($15). I'm excited and can't wait to get it. I'm trusting this bass will get me through the learning curve. I don't know what flats are, anything about different pickup sounds, or how to properly set it up when it arrives. I don't have an amp either, well unless you want to count a Peavey Rage 158 with a short.... :smug: So, I've got some reading to do. Glad to be a newcomer to the bass world though. :D
  6. Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    If anyone cares, I got it today.. here's a pic and a clip (keep in mind I have no experience, just to hear what it sounds like)...
    I also picked up a Crate BT15 practice amp and a beginning book. Let the fun begin.... :bassist:
  7. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    sounds better than most on their first day... welcome to the bass club. have a blast!!!