Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner needing a bass for Jazz/blues/r&b music

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jbroad572, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Hello all TB'ers
    Well, I play the saxophone, but want to learn the bass. I hear it will enhance my playing by learning to play with the rhythm, but the bass is awesome in my opinion anyway. I don't want to be great, but I would like to be able to hold my own one day. Anyways, I have been eyeing a few beginner models and was set on the Essex model, but wasn't sure which would suit my purpose best. Then I read about the Brice Jazz, but no longer see the model on rondomusic.net. IS there another source for it? I'd like to order one in the next day or 2. Oh, 5 string is what I'm after. Cheap as possible, no more than $250, hopefully.
    And something pretty never hurt anyone.... :cool:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gawd, do you want an ebony fingerboard with LED's for fret markers, too? Only so much you're going to get out of a $250 bass ;)

Everyone on here says to check out the SX line of basses if you want an inexpensive Jazz that's good. I think Rondo carries them, too.

3. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    I think the SX route would be the best. I think I would like to start on a 5 string fretless, but lined would be better, starting off I think. Just wanted to make sure I was going to get one of the better models for my purpose.

4. I just bought an Essex Jazz. It's pretty darn good.

5. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    Well, if anyone cares, I ordered a Brice HXB-405 Fretless. Got the last one they had available for $219 + bag ($15). I'm excited and can't wait to get it. I'm trusting this bass will get me through the learning curve. I don't know what flats are, anything about different pickup sounds, or how to properly set it up when it arrives. I don't have an amp either, well unless you want to count a Peavey Rage 158 with a short.... :smug: So, I've got some reading to do. Glad to be a newcomer to the bass world though. :D

6. Jbroad572

Jbroad572

Oct 5, 2005
    If anyone cares, I got it today.. here's a pic and a clip (keep in mind I have no experience, just to hear what it sounds like)...
    I also picked up a Crate BT15 practice amp and a beginning book. Let the fun begin.... :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    http://bway5.net/Bassbegin.mp3

7. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    sounds better than most on their first day... welcome to the bass club. have a blast!!!