Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner needs assistance with strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by geddy2112, Aug 16, 2002.

1. geddy2112

geddy2112

Aug 16, 2002
    I've had my first bass for about 6 months and at this point the strings really need to be changed. It's an Ibanez with 22 frets and 2 pickups, one at the bridge and one near the neck (some of the same model have only one pickup). It came in a package I got. The instructions say I should get strings with .045-.105 gauges. For anyone familiar with this kind of beginner Ibanez bass, I would like to know what kind of strings should I get - flatwound, roundwound, tapercore, halfwound? I really don't know what works best with this kind of bass and what would be recommended for it.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    we need more info

what bassists have a sound that you really like? do you like bright or mellow? what kind of music do you play? what's your budget?

3. geddy2112

geddy2112

Aug 16, 2002
    i'm guessing from your reply that any kind of string would work? i was concerned that a certain kind of string might ruin something or be specifically for a certain type of bass only.

as for your questions, i play rock mostly, im still a beginner. my favorite bassist is geddy lee. my budget is anything reasonable - i've seen the ernie balls, etc at guitar center and nothing seemed to outrageously high price-wise. i read that roundwound are easiest to play, hardest to tune, flatwould are easiest to tune but harder to play and not as bright, and that halfwound are somewhere in the middle.

If any of those string types would work on my bass (assuming I interpreted what you said correctly) with the proper guages, I THINK I'd like halfwound, since that seems to strike a good balance. But I don't know...any info is indeed appreciated.

Hope thats enough info.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no, as long as the string is the same guage you will be 100% ok. (changing the string gauge MAY require some minor adjustments, but yes, every set of electric bass strings will work on every bass...except steinbergers with double ball ends, but no one plays those anyways :p )

and i wouldn't say flats are easier to play than rounds. if you like geddy lee, he uses round wounds all the way. most bassists today do, but flats (and halfwounds) are still good alternatives.

and as for which one tunes easier - that's not a concern.

if you want mellower strings, you don't automatically have to go to flats. there are nickel wound strings that are more mellow than stainless, and each manufacturers strings sound and feel different. i personally couldn't recommend one, because i like my strings BLASTYOUINTHEFACEBRIGHT (stainless DR Loriders) but i'm sure others here could.

5. geddy2112

geddy2112

Aug 16, 2002
    thanks alot...i guess some roundwounds would be good then?

and you say that its not true that they are harder to tune? I read that in my Bass Player Book by Bass Magazine in the string section.

thanks again for the assistance.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the only way to find out what strings are best for your bass, is to experiment with them untill you find the set you yourself like best.