1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner photography

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 14, 2008.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I always wanted to be into photography but never really was, I don't know anything about it but I just want to show off a few pictures I took that I think are pretty good.. Or interesting..

Taken from iPhone
    IMG_0003.

Camera
    DSC03539.

DSC03202.

DSC01915.

DSC01897.
    Made theses for my girlfriend.. They were supposed to be heart pancakes....
    Photo15.

DSC03858.

DSC03672.

DSC03708.

Not a great picture but, its one of the girl I love..
    DSC03293.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Stay away from food photography. You don't wanna know what they spray on the food you see in the magazines before they a picture of it, or how many lamps and screens they use. Unless you do the same it's not gonna look nice.

I like the third surf picture, there's really something going on there.

The rooster is nice, too.

Be careful with the angled shots. They become kinda boring after a while.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What camera?

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Food photography is difficult. But, with the right light and subject, you can take a decent picture.

This is a snapshot taken with natural light coming through a window. I used a 50mm lens with at f/2.8, no flash. The aluminum foil actually reflects light up, so it helps the picture out.

5guys.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Still looks gross :p

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The rooster shot is my favorite. It seems like you've cropped a lot of the photos so part of the subject is chopped off. To me - especially for the surfer on the wave - a little more space in the frame sometimes helps complete the setting.

I don't know about you, but having a raccoon sprawled out on my couch would be pretty shocking.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    But it tastes awesome!

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Learn to work with the thirds rule. Never take a centred subject without a good reason. And, don't angle the camera too much, especially without a good reason. Try to have an interaction between the subject and the background (i.e. the sushi would have looked pretty good on a table, occupying maximum 2/3 of the picture). The surroundings are important.

Never take a single picture of something. You're missing on some unexpected pearls.

Aaaaand. Break the rules when it seems appropriate.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The problem with Five Guys is the gas it produces. But I'll bet you don't see that as a "problem", stinko-man.

I just got my first D-SLR to replace my circa 1981 AE-1 Program.

10. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    thanks for the into guys, after posting this I noticed I shouldn't have put that title, I don't want you guys to think I'm anygood, I just took some pictures and wanted to post them, I hve always been interested in photography but never took it seriously. Just bought a decent camera and felt like posting my pictures SOMEWHERE

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If we're talking iphone, I've always liked these shots. Took these in Japan with my iphone.

IMG_0300.
    IMG_0312.
    IMG_0276.
    IMG_0264.
    IMG_0268.

Then I've always liked this one I took last summer while on patrol in Huntington Beach. Stumbled upon this guy one morning. :D
    IMG_0431.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ