1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner q about pickups/volume

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beginner2233, Feb 29, 2008.

1. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Hey! I just got my first bass, a Squier jazz and am quite happy with it so far. I've noticed that when I turn down the top volume control, the sound goes completely. The middle knob doesn't seem to do anything. I was under the impression that this was meant to control the bridge pickup?
    Is this normal? If not, what can I do about it?

2. Just a guess since I don't play anything Fender, but could the middle knob be a blend control for the two pickups? Try turning your volume up and then play with that second knob.

3. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks for the reply!

I tried what you suggested and there seems to be some difference when I turn the second knob, not a dramatic one though.

Could part of my problem be that I play through an old 15W guitar amp? (I know, I know... I'm buying a bass amp very soon but for now this is the only thing I have)

4. That may well be part of the problem. I have a little Epiphone guitar practice amp in my office for plinking around on and there's really not much tonal variance on it.

5. Someone that has experience with Fender/Squier should probably be along shortly though, and they can probably offer more concrete answers than I can. I'm just guessing.

6. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Alright, thanks a lot for your replies anyway! I'll wait for others as well.

7. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Interesting... I've just found out when I turn the first knob down completely and leave the second one on full and then play a string I can still hear a faint sound in the amp. When I turn it down the sound goes completely. This would indicate that the pickup/knob does work right?

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    You didn't say exactly what model Squier you have, but unless it's active the middle knob SHOULD be the bridge pup volume and if it behaves as you described, something is wrong.

I'd check the wiring, then the pup.

9. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    It's the Squier Standard Jazz Bass.

Nothing happens at all when I turn the middle knob all the way up.

How would I go about checking the wiring? Is all that located under the scratchplate?

10. Master; Bridge; Neck?

I don't know. If you keep the top and third on, and turn the second off, does the tone get warmer? As far as you can tell. (No offense, you're new is all)

11. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Unfortunately, nothing happens to the sound when I turn the middle knob. It's just like it isn't there.

Actually, I've noticed that when turn the first volume knob all the way down and the middle knob all the way up and crank my amp I can get a very slight buzz out of the strings. But that's about it.

Any suggestions?

12. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    I've checked all the wiring and everything seems wired up correctly (ie. all the wires are going where they are supposed to go). I couldn't find any loose connections either. I'm going to guess the pickup is faulty and will therefore return the bass and hope for a new one.

13. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Sounds like you have a problem with the volume pot for that pickup - the pot is the thing under the control plate that the volume knob's shaft is part of. If you bought it new, they have a 1-year warranty. Maybe your local store will be good enough to just replace the whole bass so you don't have to go a couple of weeks without it while they fix something that is brand new. I'd be more than a little bummed by that, on a new bass...

If you bought it used, then it's a >$10 part even for a good quality one, and 15 minutes worth of work. Anyone handy with a soldering iron can fix it if you download the Jazz bass wiring diagrams from Fender's website to give to them (unless you want to try it yourself!).

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Could be the pickup too. That's a more expensive fix, but the store should fix it free of charge if they care at all about their reputation.

15. beginner2233

beginner2233

Feb 29, 2008
    Yeah, I am a bit bummed about it, since I was really looking forward to getting into playing it and all. But I checked and should get a replacement (it's new). I'll just play this one over the week end and should have it replaced by next week.

Thanks all for your help!!