1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner question...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by shatterd, Mar 1, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Question about the right hand.

I'm starting out practicing finger style.

I'm using two fingers.....index and middle fingers.

Which finger should I start playing the notes with? Should I go......index-middle-index-middle-index-middle

or.....middle-index-middle-index-middle-index

I want to start with my middle, but seem to be more profecient when I start with my index.

I seem to have more problems coordinating the right and left hands when I start with index.

Also....is it ok to just work on two fingers for now, or should I start incorporating three and four finger techniques.

Thanks in advance. If you have any other advice for a newb then please feel free to offer it. I'm hungry for knowledge and tips.

P.S...my favorite bands would be Dream Theater and Red Hot Chili Peppers(Myung and Flea). I am a beginner with a little bit of guitar under my belt before deciding I want to focus on bass. Right now I have a G&L Tribute L2000 and a Line 6 Lowdown Studio amp(75 watts). I'm taking lessons online from workshoplive.com ...as well as buying lots of instructional DVD's. I hope to soon start jamming with songs on my iPod after I get the basics down.

2. I recommend you practice starting both ways until they are each interchangeable.

There will come a time when you want to alternate what finger you start with because the following notes tell you to.

3. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Welcome to talkbass,It sound like you have the right gear to get started.Use both fingers ,become good with starting on both.Yes then use 3 and 4 when you feel you can.There is alot of how to stuff using fingers 3+4 on youtube,Look up Victor Wooten,also on bassplayer.tv there is some great stuff to watch,Look up Adam Nitti.And practice!

4. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    whichever finger feels most comfortable should be used, but try to learn both ways