1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner Recording Bass: Wick vs TBird, vs J, vs PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluesHolyMan, Sep 28, 2013.

1. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    I am venturing into the 4-string world to make myself a more well-rounded musician. I played Trumpet for 25 years, ran live sound for 10, and have been working on guitar the last 10. I am wanting to buy a bass to a) learn it, and b) record with it, direct, into Logic. How good it sounds is important - I can hear mud really well. I will be doing Blues, Blues/Rock, Praise/Worship, and would like it to do Jazz (that seems more EQ than anything though - hope Marcus Miller doesn't show up in here and whomp me for that statement :bag:)

I made the mistake of listening to Yes Big Generator recently and now cry :crying: every time I walk by a Rick and its price tag - love the sound of the Rick. Until I can afford one of those :hyper: , I need something cheaper, $300-500 range, and used is ok.

I found a Warwick Rockbass Fortress 4-string used for $500 in excellent shape - not sure if that is a great deal or not. I liked how it sounded, better than any of the squire stuff I think, and it seemed versatile - might be able to get a Rick sound. Its Ash which I really like - haven't found anything else in that price range with an Ash body. T-bird seems cool but seems a bit limited. I am open to upgrading pickups on the right bass.

So for quality, sound and versatility, is the Fortress the one? Or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks,
    BHM

2. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    Apparently I asked the wrong question, asked it the wrong way, or blasphemed Marcus Miller...not sure which...

I have decided to push the button on a Fender Classic Jazz Bass (Ash) at GC. I loved how it both sounded and felt. Being the tweaker I am, I think I am going to drop in the SD Quater Pounders as the only upgrade - while the stock pups sound good, I think I can get better out of some SDs.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A Jazz makes a fine recording bass. I've hears good things about the Classic series .

4. BluesHolyMan

BluesHolyMan

Sep 28, 2013
    Thank you for replying, I am looking forward to the Jazz...