beginner rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by typeblu, Dec 8, 2003.

1. typeblu

Dec 8, 2003
    los angeles
    hi, me and some friends are starting a rock/punk band. i like to play a lot of rock and punk, looking for a sound similar to matt freeman of rancid, also like mike watt of minutemen. i am trying to get a good bass rig going. i just have a squier p-bass for now and my budget is gonna be about 500-600 which i think should be more than enough. we are gonna be practicing in a garage most likely and maybe play some small clubs. i have no idea what to get. due to matt freeman i was hoping to get ampeg. i was going to try to get a 4x10 cab and whatever ampeg head i could afford but would that be too much power for a beginner? i dont know much as far as wattage is concerned. please give me some insight/help. much appreciated.
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Before i saw your location i was going to say a laney 4x10 and a behringer head, However, im not sure if you guys can get laney easily over there, wht about teh behringer head and an avatar cab, if you wanted to eventually have more than one cabnet, get an 8 ohm version, if however you think youll be happy with one 4x10 (IMO plenty) get a 4 ohm cabnet and youll be running a nice 300W through it, if you ever need more power you can allways get a seperate power amp and use the behringer as a pre-amp.
    I hope that helped :)
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Ampeg B100R (more vintage tone)
    2nd hand EBS combo (more modern tone)
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    There was a Bassman 400 for sale in the TB classifieds for $550, that imo would be a good buy.
  5. typeblu

Dec 8, 2003
    los angeles
    would a b100r be strong enough if we played a gig? im afraid to buy something that wouldnt be strong enough. how are the hartke setups those seem pretty affordable. or what about a swr workingman? would that be strong enough for a gig?
  6. atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    How many watts is it?

The guitarist can pretty much take your sound unless you have double their wattage.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes, unless you're playing somewhere really big and then you have an output to run to a PA.

If you do a search on it, you will find lots of positive feedback.
  8. typeblu

Dec 8, 2003
    los angeles
    is there and advantage to having a head and a cabinet as opposed to a combo.

also i just got back from geetar center and i really like the sound of the gk 2x10 combo and the ampeg ba115 and the swr workingman 15. those sounded rad to me. what would you guys go with? still the b100r?
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The GK and SWR are more professional level amps than the BA115, IMO.

I'd recommend that you go with the loudest, best sounding amp that you can afford.

The B100R is a 100 watt (into 4 ohm) 1x15 (4 ohm speaker) combo. Pretty retro in design. I'm not sure which GK you played through, but either one is probably more powerful than the Ampegs (BA115 or B100R).
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Having a head & cab allows more upgrade options & less complicated issues if something breaks down.

I'm not familiar with all the GK stuff (have heard of reliability issues with the Backline line). Either Ampeg should work; you should listen to both and decide for yourself.

If the GK typeblu heard is not the backline model, I would agree with the 1st statement above. The SWR WM will give a more modern type sound.

The second statement, depends on the tone you're after.

The third statement I couldn't qualify (as I said, I'm not that familiar with GK stuff).