Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner started with fretless,Am i right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NooB_Me, Feb 26, 2005.

1. NooB_Me

NooB_Me

Feb 24, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Hi, i am a very2 beginner in bass,but play a lil' bit of guitar. i wanna learn playing it and actually love how the fretless bass look... so i plan to buy a fender jazz fretless this month... any pros/cons? thanks guys

2. Pros: no fret wear, the sound(if you like it)
    Cons: intonation is on you
    From a semi-total beginner perspective, it may not be that hard. Another possible pro: It's probably easier to go from fretless to fretted.

3. Hey, if kids can learn to play upright bass in junior high orchestra class, I don't think it's impossible to start bass on fretless :)

As long as you have the desire. I learned fretless in a couple months (after nearly a decade on fretted).

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It take good hand position and GREAT ears..did you say you wanted to go fretless for the looks? Now that's dedication!! Playing fretless is alot like a trombone solo, when it's good it's great, when it isn't it's terrible!!

5. NooB_Me

NooB_Me

Feb 24, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah,i really love how it looks without a fret,and i heard that fretless is better for playing tone and melodies... so i pick it..
    am i right?

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, looks aren't everything. You may not enjoy the fretless experience. I remember when I played guitar for a short period of time, then picked up a bass, it was a totally different instrument.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm not so sure about that trombone solo...

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    You posted this 3 times now? or is it 4?

9. Actually, if you have enough MWAH in your fretless, it can sound like a trombone :)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It took me three years to start on a fretless, and even I think I needed more time before I started.

I usually recommend people start on a fretted axe.

11. NooB_Me

NooB_Me

Feb 24, 2005
    Philadelphia
    thanks,forthe reply guys,i appreciate it even when u're not recommend it^^.... i just wanna ask how long actually u Can learn bass from very2 beginner to play notes and keys... and what the different between P and J bass(Fender)Thanks again and sorry if bothering u guys

12. You might want to check out the search function on the forum. Lots of learnin' going on here and TBers are more likely to help you out if your questions haven't been beat to death like the P/J question.

You can learn a pile of stuff by looking around, but it does take a little time and effort.

Al

13. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    My mom heard "The Boy in the Bubble" on Graceland and asked, "is that a tuba?" :)

I don't see a problem with starting on a fretless. I learned cello in third grade (first time I ever played a stringed instrument) and the fretlessness wasn't an issue.