1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beaverteeth92, Mar 16, 2008.

1. beaverteeth92

beaverteeth92

Nov 1, 2007
    I've been meaning to learn bass for a while now. I've been playing bass at peoples' houses and at music stores, playing basic basslines and stuff. I just need help deciding what bass to get.

First of all, I am definitely getting an SX. It's an issue of what SX to get. I'm really looking for something that will be good for progressive rock, such as Rush, Yes, and King Crimson and metal, such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. It also should be really versatile, meaning good for slapping, fingerstyle, and pickstyle, mainly with a felt pick. I've heard a jazz bass is really good for this, but I just want to be 100% sure.

Also, what body and neck should I go with? I'm most likely going to get an alder body, because it's standard. Should the neck be rosewood? I figured rosewood would be good because it would balance out the mids on the jazz bass, so it wouldn't be too high, as opposed to a maple neck, which would have a really bright tone. String-wise, should I keep the D'Addarios it came with? And is it worth adding a Badass II bridge? And what about straplocks?

And I don't know anything about amps, so what do you recommend I get?

2. A jazz bass is very versatile, you shouldn't have to much trouble getting the sound you want out of it. Some people here will disagree with me, but fingerboard wood doesn't affect the tone by a very large degree. I'd wait for a bit before dropping any upgrades in, especially if you're just starting out, just my advice. As far as amplifiers go, that would really depend on if you're practicing by yourself, or with a drummer. I'd recommend something like a 100 watt fender bassman. Cheap, sounds ok, and loud enough to jam with a drummer.

3. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    of the basses that you've played, do you like the jazz or the precision neck better? if you like the jazz neck then i'd go with a jazz bass. if you like the p neck better then i'd look at the sx p/j basses. i have one of these and it is really versatile. as far as upgrades, get whichever bass you want and play it for awhile before you start messing with it.

4. beaverteeth92

beaverteeth92

Nov 1, 2007
    I like the thin jazz neck, because I have small hands. And I don't need to jam with a drummer. I am one :). I have a tape recorder, so I could record myself drumming, then jam to it.

Also, what strap locks do you guys recommend?

5. schaller makes some pretty decent ones

6. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    change the stock strings immediately, and shell out a few more bucks for a good setup (truss rod, intonation, and whatnot).

7. Don't really need strap locks unless you make a habit of swinging around your bass, and running all over the place on your set..

8. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Sounds like you've done your homework!

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I thought the same thing untill my Vintage Precision came off it's strap, and damn near hit the floor on a show one night.

Saw my guitar player Strat bounce off the floor once, and his Tele twice before he smartened up too.

Stap locks= good idea.

10. Good point. In all fairness, I use strap locks, too. :p

11. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I would think a P Bass neck would be better for progressive or a really thin one like an Ibanez would be best. And Jazz Basses only have 20 frets if I'm not mistaken. Not saying they aren't good it's just they aren't my ideal progressive bass. And yes I do need them. One example is Fur Elise where it goes really high and I need to tap the 21st fret.

12. beaverteeth92

beaverteeth92

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it. What strings should I go for? I hear Rotosound roundwound steel strings are good for the tone I'm looking for. And should I go with a maple neck and alder body?

I was looking at the following bass:

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62ct.html

13. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    that bass and those strings should be good, just make sure that you get it set up.

14. beaverteeth92

beaverteeth92

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks. What amp should I get? I have literally no knowledge when it comes to amps. Also, how much (on average) do most stores charge to get it set up?