1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

beginner tips

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xdanxx, Mar 12, 2008.

1. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    Hi guys Ive been playing bass self taught for about 3-4 years now, just using tabs and playing. On the way Ive picked up bad habits that Ive had to relearn like not using my pinky, so on so fourth. I want to start progressing my playing, and being able to not only just play the music with my buddies, but be able to come up with good bass lines, and basically learn the basics that I never did. So my question for you guys is, whats the best thing to start practicing such as scales and arpeggios, and which ones are important. Anything else I should really work on? Thanks.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you mean by this you aren't using your pinky on your fretting hand, I'd said the first big step is to get into a "One finger per fret" hand postion. There are those here who would suggest slightly different fingering options, but do anything get your hand it a better position. If you mean that you aren't plucking with your pinky, don't sweat that.

Read every sticky on every page of this forum. The information there is probably worth about $1000 in private lessons. Put all that to work in your daily practice. Ask every single question you can think of.

Get a private teacher.

Start playing with other musicians.

3. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Same thing as you.

I got a book which out lined the natural scales and playing them in the right positions.

Though it felt ridiculous to go back and to the very basics like
    index finger, middle finger open notes, as i practiced and got proficient with the natural scales, i went back on some old bass lines like brick house and you can really notice the difference and the ease correct position makes.

Like someone said the one finger per fret and forcing your self to use your pinky is a good start.

studybass.com <-------- fantastic
    start from the very beginning and read it all.
    same with the stickies.

there is alot of info also in the general instruction section of this site.

practice everything till you can do it in your sleep, to where even looking at the exercise make you sick, then do it again IMO.

As anti social as i am i have yet to look for a teacher, so no idea how those work.