1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beginner to music with fretless, cant tune instrument, chord extract but single string player

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    After waiting 32 years , I could buy a hard used black stagg bc 300 for 50 dollars , my first instrument and I am going to luthier to convert it to fretless for 30 dollars tomorrow.

No money for amp and I listened 60 jaco albums and I can start stop reverse play some tunes with single string. And I played a melody from Brahms , I guess symphony 1 , Austrian National Anthem.

I cant tune the instrument by ear and I dont know if I am amusa and cant never play a instrument ?

I have no idea how they hear a chord and extract the notes. I have no talent. I am not mozart and I want to learn , my single string playing have a hope ?

How can I learn to hear six notes chord and extract notes one by one ? Is it a play play thing or natural talent.

I listened perfect pitch training and they say its memorizing the characteristics of every different note ON YOUR instrument.

After machine tune , I can agree the same notes are same.

Whats going on , big pain in the ass and headache when thinking.

Is this all happening is a lack of practice problem . Perfect pitch course is agree with this but your thoughts are very important.

How some gets very quicly when they have no training ?

Umut
    Istanbul

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. First, why fretless for your first instrument. Fretted is hard enough, I do not recommend you start with a fretless.

Second, perfect pitch -- good luck. At your age you have it or you do not. Relative pitch will come with practice. I have played with two people that have perfect pitch, in both cases, they drove all of us crazy with leaning over and tell one of us; "Your flat", or stopping mid song to tune their instrument. Neither lasted long in the good ole boy band music we were playing.

Tuning -- electronic tuners are inexpense and we all rely on them.

Go to the general instruction section and look at the getting started string. Lot of good information in that string. I think the getting started post should get you going? After going over that post, ask specific questions someone will answer.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you can play Jaco and Brahms, then you have talent! You are a musician! You can succeed!

But you have to be patient. Learning music can be a slow process. It might take years to train your ear to hear 6-part harmony. Before you can do that, you need to learn basic fundamentals, like singing the major scale in tune, or transcribing simple folk songs. Find a good teacher, practice every day, and play with other musicians as often as you can. You'll get there. Good luck! :)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Perfect pitch can only be learned by young children. You cannot develop the skill in adulthood, your brain is incapable of it. You can develop relative pitch which is, arguably, more useful to the average musician anyway.

If you just want to improve your ear, learn your intervals. If you want to learn how to play bass, find a teacher, if possible, or get some books, like Hal Leonard's Electric Bass Menthod. There is no quick way. Very few players are naturally talented. Most of the "greats" just put a whole lot of time in to perfecting their craft, they didn't start that way.

Basic Intervals | Intervals | StudyBass

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Just a note: OP has posts going back 10 years talking about building his own instruments. Something's fishy about this thread.