1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

beginner upright looking for a cheap upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by InfinityJaco, Oct 26, 2003.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    hello,
    I'm a current Berklee College of Music electric bass principle student and I'm interested in purchasing a cheap, probably used upright (I was hoping $1000 or less). Anybody have any suggestions for brands, where to buy, etc? Also, does anyone have any estimates for buying the bass, a gigbag with one of the wheels (if it doesnt come with one), and a nice bow (I'm really interested in the arco stuff).
    thanks
    chris

2. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    you are going to be hard pressed to find a decently setup bass and the all that other stuff at a price anywhere near 1Grrrr. There are probably several shops near you and you might check out Upton Bass. His site indicates a good inventory of basses with a wide variey of prices.This is offered as a reference point, not an advocacy. I've never been there, just seems like a comprehensive site/inventory . Certainly, being at Berklee affords a wealth of contacts with expertise in this regard.

3. Chris - check your PM.

- Wil

PS - What does your teacher say?

4. Make sure to check the newbie section. There is a lot of good info there that should help with many of your questions.