Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner wanting amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deception, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Deception

Deception

Feb 9, 2006
    Im looking to aquire an amp, and really i dont know much about them at the moment, so dont want to walk into the store a complete idiot, only a minor one :D

Anyway im looking for something with enough power to play with 2 of buddies, one on drums, the other guitar, the guitar player only has a 30 watt amp so im more concerned about not being drowned out by drums.

Also i have approx 400 canadian to spend. What are you suggestion? combos? or head and cab? Are there sites out there can explain amps to me clearly?

Thanks

2. The basic rules of thumb are that you need 4 times the power that the guitarist has, and probably at least 100 watts so that you are not drowned out by the drummer.

Depending on the type of music you plan to play, that could mean 60 watts to play coffee bar jazz with a quiet drummer, or 200 watts minimum if your drummer is loud.

In that sort of power range, there are plenty of combos to choose from, and purely in terms of bang per buck, they are cheaper than a separate head and cab. However, a separate head and cab means you can add a second cab if you need more volume - not all combos give you this option. Also consider what happens when something breaks. With a combo, you have nothing until it is repaired. With separates, you only have to borrow half the rig to get you back on track.

The first item you buy is unlikely to fullfil your needs forever, so I suggest finding a friend who knows, and looking for a second hand combo. If you minimise your depreciation, if/when you upgrade, you could keep it as a back-up/rehearsal amp. If you pay new prices, you will feel the need to trade it in to afford the upgrade (and you get a low price).

One final point: after you have bought something, stay away from music stores as much as you can. The more time you spend with other equipment, the more tempted you will be to upgrade.

3. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
  4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'd say walk into a guitar center, find something, plug into it, and jam. They'll let you crank it to check volume if you tell them first. Oh yeah... it does well to find a bigger bass brother with some insight and bring him with you.

5. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I second the motion for considering an Ashdown! Quite nice combos with more tonal range than a lot of other under-$400 rigs. Holds its own at smaller gigs.

6. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
  7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Peavey's Basic 112 is also solid - when flat, its got a lot of bass...and has the ability to add a cab as an extension if you need.

I got mine for $200 standard price...$US though.

8. Deception

Deception

Feb 9, 2006
    Me being in canada no guitar center, well not in winnipeg. Though good advice, i will go to the 2nd hand shop first, see whats around. I plan on getting it mid april as money is tight right now.