Beginner, was gonna go for a GSR200 but I think I would splurge..... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdark1, Apr 19, 2003.

1. tdark1

Apr 19, 2003
    I was going to go with an Ibanez GSR200, but after hearing that they arent very predictable, like 2 out of 10 are decent, and the other 8 are crap. I figured I would spend $150 extra, and get a Fender P-Bass. Anyone else think this is a better idea?? Is the Fender worth the extra $150?? This will be my first bass, and I am wanting to play metal mainly, once I learn how to play. Any ideas or suggestions?? Also anyone know of a decent practice bass I can get for around $150?? I have searched the fourms, but that only leaves me confused!!

2. without a doubt - go for the p.

3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    my first bass was an ibanez gsr200 and it was a well made bass,the pick-ups were'nt all that great but it had a decent neck/frett work,and stayed in tune well,they cost 210.00 new give or take a sale or not,in my opinion i would go with a mex fender p or j/bass you can get one used for about the same price as a the ibanez and its alot better sounding bass than it,but if your heart is set on the gsr200 go for it though i've played quite a few of them i have never found an actual" bad" one,you can do alot worse in the bass world than with the ibanez
    good luck:bassist:
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Go with the P. Your good to bad ratio will be much much better if you get a real Fender and not a Squier. I have heard of some squiers being great, but as a beginner, it is quite a gamble.

so ya, a good used Fender P will do ya good.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The GSR200 is a great bass for the money.

I actually went with it over a MIM fender...

Get whichever you like best, both are great basses.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would go for a P.
  7. You can't go wrong with a Precision.
  8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Definitely. If your going to go for a P-bass, I'd go with an Essex. For the price, I would say they are one of the better deals out there.
  9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    word:D :D :D
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own a GSR200 (first bass, as a matter of fact), and have spent a lot of time on the basses mentioned.

Verdict: Essex.

Now, don't get me wrong, the GSR200 has served me well, and still does. The fact of the matter is that the Ibanez quality control is utterly slack. Your chances of finding a "good" one among the shameless masses are pretty low. I completely lucked out when I mail-ordered mine from Musicians Friend. I've played dozens of these in Guitar Centers, and not one has come close to being as nice as mine. You'll probably not be so lucky

Meanwhile, the Essex's get consistent rave reviews, and I've played on a couple. AMAZING beginner axes that should be standard issue to anyone considering picking up a bass. The entire Talkbass Atlanta contingient is pretty much of the same mind. It's almost as good as a Fender Standard (the Made in Mexico, aka MIM), and dirt cheap

I'd for sure steer you towards a nice Essex over a Fender Squier or Ibanez GSR200.

Though, another venue to look at is Peavey and Yamaha, both make great beginner axes that aren't shy at all in any department, especially Yamaha.

Check out Yamaha and Essex, in conclusion.
  11. I saw someone here on the boards compare their Essex to an MIJ!
  12. dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I have to agree with all of the above! I played an Essex about a month ago, a great beginners bass. You might consider having it set-up by someone experienced, or at a local guitar shop, but its well worth the bucks. Ebay is a great place to shop around for a MIM Fender or Essex, both should serve you well.
  13. I got an Ibanez GSR190 which is basically the same thing,except the colored headstock...and I love it,it's very verisitile and has a fast neck...

also,the P/J pickups have a variety of's great!

I say go for the GSR, Fender P isn't all it's worked up to be IMO...