1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner with $3000 to spend.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    This kid at my church's grandpa will spend 3 grand on him to buy him a bass and amp for his birthday. Excessive, I know, but what are your recommendations?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Give 2500$ to me and buy him a MIM Fender.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    a Wal Mach I and a Line 6 bass pod.

4. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    Um, here is what I think you should do. Get him a solid starter bass (about $500-600), and a good combo, like an Ampeg or GK or Eden or something (another 500 maybe?). Put the other 2 grand in the bank.

Why?

Cause as a starter he won't know what he want. He will, NO MATTER WHAT, want something different in a year or so. THEN, you can spend that left over money (+interest) and he can get EXACTLY what he needs and wants.

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    It's not like he's giving him $3000. He's taking him to a store or something, and buying him what he wants in the $3000 limit.

6. Lakland Skyline JO5

Aguilar AG 500

Aguilar GS 112

If there is any money left over, lessons.

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR

this is the best real advise...

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    No it isn't, because the other 2 grand would stay in grandpa's bank account and he wouldn't see it.

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    What a fortunate young kid.
    Heres what I'd do with that kinda dough. I would not spend all of it.

Get a Fender MIM Jazz 60's re-issue
    Eden Metro Combo.

Thats mighty fine kit for a starter

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    yeah, since his has the cash get him an amp that can get loud enough for playing with other people, if he quits he can probably sell it a little to no loss. I'd recommend a name brand bass also like a fender since the resale value on those is generally pretty good. He migh be able to find a good deal on used MIA. I bought my MIA p for around $500-600,I don't remember exactly, about a year ago and it was 97 that's still in mint condition. They're a strong bass that does everthing a bass needs to.

11. Then a MIM P-or-J bass, and the rest going to a verified "Colectors" instrument that will gain value over the years. Almost as good as the stock market. With any luck, the New-Old-Stock Market. ;)

12. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
  13. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    It very much is. Spending a couple grand on an instrument for a brand new player is not much better than tossing the money in a trash bin. The kid will hardly (if at all) appreciate any difference between a well made lower-midrange bass like a mim fender, schecter, etc and an upper tier instrument that would cost 2-3k like a skjold, roscoe, sadowsky, etc. It will take him a while to develop an ear and feel for the differences, and only then will it be more reasonable to take him shopping for a pricey bass. There's no one bass for everybody (as versatile as some basses can be), and it's just common sense for someone to do the research (or in this case, do the playing and listening) and figure out what they want before they bust their wallet on it.

14. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    I'd still go with Frog: spend 1000 now, the rest later. Come on, this kid's grandpa is surely going to see that (a) this way he'll get just what he wants eventually, when he knows what he needs & (b) buying a youngster top-of-the line gear when he can't even use it will give him nothing to strive for, and he may well not work at learning to play. Grandpa has just overestimated the cost of the immediate gift, and of course he'll hold the cash for him.

15. No need to spend/waste $3000. Good instrument + good amp + good resale value = the way to go IMHO...

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Yeah, I never really gave my personal recommendation.. I'd get him a MIM fender and an Ampeg combo. That's professional quality gear that you can always get back your money for.

17. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Just because his budget is 3k doesn't mean it's necessary to spend every penny out of it. At least leave some money so grandpa can pay for his prescription. Get him a beginner bass and a decent amp. Then use some to buy a package for lessons. As a mutual bass player, it's your duty to ensure grandpa doesn't get rip off into buying more than he need. You'll feel warm and fuzzy when you truly help grandpa out.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Your church has a grandpa?

19. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    If all the money has to go... keep some (most) for lessons like mentioned before... is important imho.