Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by punkteen, Jan 9, 2001.

1. punkteen

Jan 9, 2001
    ok guys, i have just received my brand new bass guitar as a christmas present. i have no idea how to play however, any kind of advice or anything is much appreciated!!! email me please!!! i m in desperate need of some sort of assistance
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. Ok, well it depends on what you want to play. If its punk, learn three chords, if its metallica, learn some of the basic easy stuff off Black Album. i have a thread either in here or Technique which was started by Cancerkitty asking the same thing. Check that out as I helped a few ppl with your exact same position :p

[Edited by merlin on 01-09-2001 at 10:47 PM]

4. If you can get a teacher,please do so!You will progress faster and learn things the right way from the git-go.

Unfortunately not all of us can afford the a)time or the b)money.I am one of those unfortunate slobs *sigh*

Seriously though...I think everyone here will agree a good teacher is priceless.If I could afford one I would definately do it!

This website is an excellent sourse for learning and getting your questions answered.

Get a book on scales/modes for the bass(they are cheap)and start using these as part of your warm up.Soon you will see that the songs you will be playing later on are all taken from these scales and you will be able to understand and even anticipate notes i.e. what goes where and what belongs where.

Since I am a beginner I will leave it up to the other more expearienced members to elaborate and fill in the details.I am going to tell you ;what countless ppl have told me:keep practicing,ask questions,read lots,watch videos,etc...all this will help you get a better handle on learning the bass.Most of all....have fun and enjoy! There is a GREAT sense of pride and accomplishment once you learn to play a particular song or to do something with your fingers you could`nt do before(no sick jokes pleasse! )

OK ,guess I am rambling on too much now......

Best Wishes!