Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hobopetshop, Jan 4, 2006.

1. hobopetshop

hobopetshop

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston
    Okay, my friends and I are starting a band. We have 2 guitar 1 drumer and one basses. I am going to be the second basses. I was wondering what I should start out with? I am thinking about getting a starter pack. I don't know how good one of these would be. I already have an amp and things in that nature. I was just wondering would it be better to spend more money on the bass and get lesons from my friend, or get a cheaper bass and get lesons from someone trained more than he is?

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    depends what starter pack. i have never tried them, but guessing by the price i would think they are pretty bad in general. if you already have an amp that is usable, then you should be able to get by for now. if it's a weak amp you might wanna invest some money into something more powerful that will get your sound out there. a 60 watt amp won't do will in a loud practice session.

as far as basses go, a lot of people here will probably recommend SX basses(Rondo Music). they are, from what i've read, good quality basses for the price you pay.

3. hobopetshop

hobopetshop

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston
    The amp would just be used to be practiced on. We have other amps that we would use to practice on. I have a little amp. I think it is only like 30 watt. It will only be used for hime practice for myself though.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think a 30watt amp will be more than enough to practice alone with. so right now you should do a lot of research online, go to a music store, and test a bunch of basses out and pick the one that fits the best.

what's your price range? it might be easier to help you out if we know what we're dealing with.

5. hobopetshop

hobopetshop

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston
  6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    for a beginner like you it seems you don't know what you're getting into. in my opinion, you NEED to go to a music store and try out instruments. you don't need an amp, so go look at slightly more expensive basses. i guess around $200 is the most you want to spend? look in the used market. great deals can be found.

i took a look at some reviews on that rogue. it seems like you can play it for a little while, but soon it will start causing more problems than you want. also, i don't think rogue has a very good name here on this forum. take a look at the various megathreads you can find here. those are a great help when you wanna buy with out trying because the people here on talkbass are reliable, and when you have 264 pages of people discussing SX basses, i think you should take a look at them. i actually have gas for a couple of those basses right now :bassist: .