Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tonyC, Dec 25, 2001.

1. tonyC

tonyC

Dec 24, 2001
    Hi,

When i started out playing bass (only a few months ago) i was into nu-metal, and i'm really getting sick of it and (trying to) playing it, it doesn't really have the right *groove*, could anyone recommend any good bass player music? Jazz or Blues maybe?

Thanks for your time

Tony

2. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Go Old school, The problem with Nu-Metal is that it draws from a lot of sources, but you gotta understand those sources.
    I'd get a bunch of Motown stuff so you can cop the James jamerson vibe, some James Brown and parliament or Funkadelic so you can feel the funk, Some Jaco and some Victor Wooten so you can let your jaw drop at the possibilities of your instrument.

Get "the Sun Don't lie" by Marcus Miller and "Amandla" by Miles Davis, So you can learn about Jazz from the masters.

Get some upright bass stuff, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Scortt La Faro, Christian McBride.

Get some old Who and Yes Albums.
    Get some Geddy Lee/Rush albums

Get Kiss Alive just cause it's cool!

Get "romantic Warrior" by return to forever, so you can learn the Name Stanley Clarke

The Beatle's White Album

"Bloodsugarsexmagik"by RedHot Chili Peppers

And of course, no bassists music would be complete without :Sailing the seas of Cheese" by Primus.

Also, get "the Mel Bay Electric Bass Method" by Roger Filiberto Vols1 and 2. Dry, boring, but one of the most complete bass methods i ever learned from.

3. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
  4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest you to listen to booker t with duck dunn on bass, and alice cooper first albums with dennis dunaway on bass. they are my favorites bass players. hope you enjoy!

5. tonyC

tonyC

Dec 24, 2001
    Thank you very much for the information! I'll definitely try to check out everything that has been recommended to me!

Thanks again! :)