Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginner

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by johnboy07, May 18, 2003.

1. johnboy07

johnboy07

May 18, 2003
    im just starting and i'm wondering which bass package would be the best one. would it be the peavey setup, squier, or the ibanez?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

what do you mean by package? bass _and_ amp? I would rather buy the bass separate and then get an amp you can hear over the drummer cuz a lot of those beginner amps are just too small unless it's for prac for yourself.

I don't know much about the other two but I've played some ok squier basses. I used a squier II for the fIREHOSE "live totem pole" ep cuz the nut on my fender telecaster bass broke.

on bass, watt

3. Yeah, I don't think those beginner packages are that great a deal for bass players.
    Also, you need to check a bass out, play it, have somebody who knows something play it, before you buy it. Especially if it's a low end bass. I friend of mine had a Squier P that was a great bass, but he had to play a dozen of 'em at GC before he found that one.
    Spend all your money on a good bass. Get one of those headphone thingies so you can practice by yourself while you're saving for an amp.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

this is great advice, big thanks to pepi! try out as many basses as possible, I agree w/this much. the same w/the amp thoughts.

on bass, watt