1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginners advice regarding amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucket222, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bucket222

bucket222

Oct 25, 2009
    Hello All,

I've been playing bass for about 9 years. I'm ashamed to admit that, in all this time playing, I've never once focused on anything even remotely gear related! Although I feel very comfortable playing in just about any style, it gives my band fits to no end when I can't answer a single question about my amp. Heck, most of the time I don't even know what plugs into what. I don't know which brands are best, most reliable, best value, etc. Although I could talk music all day with you, I'm literally as new to amps etc. as one could possibly get.

Anybody know of any resources or "Amps 101" type of material on the internet? I figure it's about time I know how to get the best possible sound. Thanks in advance!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good place to start would be to list what you have and what you like/don't like about it.

Then tell us how you've made it 9 years and gigged with bands without knowing anything about what you're plugging into.:)

3. bucket222

bucket222

Oct 25, 2009
    I had a Peavey...somethingerather. Not too expensive. Maybe $300 or so (I bought it in High School, so it seemed like a fortune). I'm about to move so I finally decided to give the thing to a buddy of mine, so I don't have it in front of me anymore, unfortunately. I've had it for about 6 years or so. It was my first amp and it could put at least a reasonable sound during a show. But it was pretty clear even to me that it couldn't handle any sort of variety of sounds. There was no warmth in the tone. It was just kind of...fuzzy. Loud-ish. But fuzzy.

Now, for my next amp, I don't mind investing some money, as long as it is something that will help balance out the sound I'm going for. As far as my playing style: I started off years ago by trying to emulate the usual suspects (Flea etc). As I've matured I've made it my goal to play exactly what a song needs without it being excessive. If I can sound like John Paul Jones- that's perfect. So something versatile and warm would be perfect (with the ability to handle the occasional slapping line. But only occasionally).

As for how I've gone this long without knowing? I don't know. I guess I'm just a musical meathead! I can make the instrument make noise. But I don't know how or why. Call me Rain Man, I guess!