1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner's bow in the UK?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TSP, Jan 7, 2007.

1. I'm a mainly-jazz beginner bassist in the UK, looking for a first bow (French) for exercises and occasional arco. In the US, I'd unhesitatingly go for the Upton bow; is there a low-cost bow available in the UK that's similarly well-thought of, or should I start looking at shipping from the US?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I got one of those mail order via the Upton website - no problems - although I did get about £12 added on by customs! :)

Very well packed!

3. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    I've to say that all my students use a very wonderful carbon fiber bow not only for beginners but also until to the 5th year of study in an Italian Conservatory of Music where you have the first important exam (the last one is at the 7th year, then you can choose to study for other two years in case of specialization). Well, this carbon fiber bow calls CARBONDIX and in Italy it costs Euro 232,00. But It really sound like a medium pernambuco bow. Well balanced, good response. It has made in China ... today everything is manufactured there;). Normally, I suggest my students to change as soon as possibile their with hairs, too thin. But for six months, at least, you can use them. I take directly from Cremona the new hairs much larger, and in comparison to its price, it's the best "beginners" bow I have found on the market. ALso because, if you should decide, you can also sell it but being sure to give a very good bow ... sorry, carbon fiber bow.
    I' ve got an Arcus Sinfonia by Euro 1.600 and I can tell you that there's no difference ... absolutely! Arcus is the worst maker of carbon fiber bow for doublebass ... but I didn't know when I have the chance to buy it at Euro 1.200. Great mistake. I have my Carbondix, whose weight is not very light, for Orchestra performances. With Nyman rosin or Pops its grip is very good.

Best regards

Vito Liuzzi

p.s.: I sell my Arcus SInfonia for Euro 1.000 with black hairs.
    I send it with SDA Express Courrier freely.

4. Could you please tell me how much they charged you for shipping to the UK ??

Cheers,
    Mark

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Sorry - can't remember - but I'm sure it says on their website and you could always ask "Upton Bass" who posts here...;)

It was definitely the cheap option!

6. I got mine from upton.
    copied from my invoice:

Sub-Total: US$99.00
    United States Postal Service (International Orders Only) (1 x 3.3lbs) (Global Express Guaranteed Document Service): US$68.25
    Total: US$167.25

That was summertime last year, so shipping may have changed.
    Customs put another 15 quid on. so at the time it cost me just under £90.

The only downside is the package gets handled by parcel force once it arrives in the uk, and they have a habit of misplacing stuff.

7. Nearly doubles the price, then; but still cheaper than anything I've seen over here apart from the very cheapest Chinese bows.

8. Yup, still seems like a really good deal...

....that's the bow shopping done then !!

9. Just a quick update...

After buying my first db, I placed an order for the $99 Upton Bass bow, a cake each of Nymans and Carlsson rosin and one of their bass stands.

Interestingly, Upton give a range of shipping options so you have to weigh up "how quickly do I want the goods" against "how much do I have to spend". It's great to see more than 1, usually very expensive option !! Incidentally, Upton can send their bow to the UK from as little a $25...

The communication from Upton so far has been first class. I received an e-mail today confirming despatch of the goods together with the relevant tracking numbers. Also, to make shipping safer, Upton have sent the bow separately from the stand & rosin, so full marks to them so far.

One more thing, to see Upton's prices for shipping to the UK, you have to register for an account, log into it and then shop and add things to your basket. Luckily, registering only takes a minute or so and doesn't cost anything !!

I'll report back on the bow and the rest of the stuff when it arrives in 7-10 days.

10. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Thanks Guys!!

11. Just to add that I've received my $99 Upton bow as well as a bass stand and rosins

Very impressed with the bow, better than some costing £100+ that I've tried. It was extremely well packaged in a super-strong cardboard tube with metal ends, so even Parcelforce couldn't damage it !!

The bass stand is sturdy, easy to adjust and has a grey powdercoat finish which looks very tough. The rosins were packaged in with the stand and have arrived intact !!

Great products, great packaging & great service. I can't ask for anything more....

12. Just tried to order the german upton bow to be sent to the UK but it wouldn't accept my debit card (Visa, not electron). Don't know what to do now :meh: oh well.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Credit cards are always the best idea for this kind of transaction anyway, as it gives you protection.

14. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    What do you mean? Just let us know I am sure we can assist.

15. Wow that was quick! Well I entered my card number and it showed the first four numbers again and said that 'if the first four numbers of the card shown here are correct, we cannot accept this card'. I'm a little mystified as I assumed Visa would be accepted.

16. Bruce Lindfield

It's not a credit card! That's what it means! :p

17. Well it shouldn't make any difference between credit and debit card surely?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Very different animals! :)

Personally I would never use my debit card for internet purchases!

The most useful reason for using credit cards for purchases is the extra protection you get. Under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, customers who have a claim against a supplier for breach of contract or misrepresentation will generally have an equal claim against the credit card issuer. This means you can claim from the credit card company if the supplier cannot or will not compensate you.

For section 75 to apply, certain conditions must be met. Most credit card purchases will be covered, but the cash price of the goods or services must be more than £100 and not more than £30,000. Purchases are not covered if they are made by debit cards or by charge cards.

19. Oh managed to get it to work. Good stuff.

20. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    If it is, valid,16 digits and starts with a 4 or 5 it will work ;) If not PLEASE let us know Ill have to get after the web developer!