1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginners Combo Amp, Please recommend Under $300 CDN ($250 USD)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DARKSUN, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone, Looking to get a bigger Amp than the BASIC 10Watt one I bought with my Bass Guitar for practice at HOME. NOT for shows.

I am so confused with what salespeople at store tell me.. You NEED 15" Subs at LEAST 200WATT..etc

I am new and have a modest budget. Please HELP!!!!!:confused:

2. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    peavey microbass or max 126, crate bt10, roland microcube, rogue rb30 and rb120, washburn bd30b, traynor bass mate, drive cd 100b, behringer ultrabass. those are all affordable bass amps going from 40$-200$ that i found on musicians friend and company websites. you don't need that much power for a practise amp. i do band practise with my peavey microbass (10watt amp) all i have to do is put my bass volume all the way up and the amp volume all the way up. Those are just some of the amps though. here's the links to musicians friend
    25$-50$http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/combos-amps-bass?N=100001+304541+6&page=1
    50$-100$http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/combos-amps-bass?N=100001+304541+7&page=1
    100$-200$http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/combos-amps-bass?N=100001+304541+8&page=1

I'd recommend the rogue rb120 if you have 200$ because it comes with 120watts. Or the behringer BXL900 with 90watts.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Go to Long and McQuade. Get the Yorkville Sound XM50C. It's a 50 watt amp. It'll surprise you. It sounds much bigger than it actually is and will handle what you say you want it for easily. It has all the extras you may ever need like a CD input, headphone jack and line out to go to a mixing board. And it's tough, reliable, made in Canada and has the best warranty in the business.

I have one. It blows away the competition.

4. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I just picked up a new Peavey Max 110 from Steve's Music here in Toronto. It was $180.00 tax in. It's for home use only and for the odd time I have to carry a bass amp with me. It weighs in at about 25 lbs., and sounds great. My Peavey Basic 112 now resides at my drummer's house where we jam weekly. I was getting tired lugging around a 50 lb amp (just turned 50 this year....yikes).

Those sales people are giving you bad advice. You don't need that kind of horsepower for playing at home....or even if you're jamming on occasion.

Prior to buying Max 110, on a whim, I picked up a brand new Rocktron RB30 on Ebay (and happened to be local here in Toronto) which I'm now selling.

http://toronto.craigslist.org/msg/225150607.html

Lawrie

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That little Peavey Max is good too. Not as powerful as the Yorkville XM50C I mentioned but it will probably do the job. The Yorkville, by the way, weighs 30 lbs. At about the same price as the Yorkville is the Peavey Minx. I've been using one of those for over 15 years. It still works but is finally developing a few problems. It's about the same size and weight. If you can find a used one in decent shape, buy it. It sounds almost as good as the Yorkville. The Yorkville has a slightly more "modern" sound.

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The Roland Cube 30 is a killer ,
    Plays loud for small gigs , sounds great.

7. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    In general, do not listen too much to salespeople. Although there are still a few decent salesmen with actual experience and good advice, I find most of them (Not only in the music business) will just say what the various companie's sales reps tell them, or plug what they own or have actually tried, and dismiss other stuff because of a lack ok knowledge or experience. I find it sad that in general, the whole sales industry is this way. When is the last time you got really good advice from a music store, or a hardware store. Most times they're all part time workers, and in two years (or months), there will have been replaced by other salespeople. Anyway, enough about this.

Look into Yorkville and Peavey. Very decent for the price.

8. OK Thank You for the advice!!

I just got my AMP tonight. Yorkville XM100 It was within my budget and since its a 15" I will handle my sometime need for ROCK BASS :D:D

Thank You everyone for the advice.. Oh and I am game for a BC bass meet !!