Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginners guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spidoman, Mar 24, 2002.

1. spidoman

spidoman

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm just starting out playing the bass and I'm looking for a good beginners bass. What brand should I get? Links would be nice

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you want a low-priced bass, try Cort New Action Bass, or Steinberg Spirit (www.musicyo.com)

All the best,

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Lower-end Yamaha and Fender basses are safe bets. They play and sound great for the price. Might cost a tad more than the Cort or Steinbergers Jaylanb suggested, but they're worth it.

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oysterman : here is my very personal opinion.

I had purchased a Fender-Squier Affinity P-Bass for my students. Even they hated it. It was almost impossible to setup in a decent way. The only time I played on a MIM Precision Bass, did not impress me at all : no depth in sound, no soul...

I never played a low-end Yamaha, so I can't tell.

All the best,

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're talking about a Squier, Jean. ;)

And a MIM P can have just as much soul as you put into it, if you know the bass and equip it with good-sounding strings. After that, "it's all in the hands". ;)

6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Let's say MIM Fenders don't fit my hands :D

However, I find they're very expensive regarding to their quality. Some are made with crate-like wood.

All the best,

7. I completely 100% agre with the cort recomendation. I have an Action 5 and a Artisan C-5 and i wouldnt trade them for anything. I have played American Fenders Japanese Fender and Mexico fenders, I played Warwicks, Ken Smith, and Spector. There are many many Basses that i have played and ultimatly came back to the cort. I know it isnt the "best" instruments made but they are the best for me.

8. spidoman

spidoman

Mar 24, 2002
    Does anyone have a link for the Cort bass? It isn't at musicyo.com

9. IMHO Sqiuers and really low end Yamahas and Peaveys feel really cheap to play. They don't sound great and they just don't play that well. MIM Fenders, while quite cheap and not fancy, make you feel like you have a quality bass in your hands when you are playing them.

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have been playing my MIM P-Bass for about seven years now and I have seldom regretted the purchase. It's an inexpensive bass to start on and it is totally upgradeable when you are ready to "graduate." Also, it's a Fender.

;)

Even I know the Squiers aren't as good as a MIM Fender.

11. www.cort.com

A little info on them. They are made in korea. Cort is short for Cor-Tek factory wich is one of 2 Major factoies in korea who make basses and guitars for many other companies. There website isnt the best some of there links are off and send you to the wrong places but I truly love there instruments. I get nothing but compliments on my basses by those who play them see them and or hear them.

12. I love My new Ibanez it's a cherry color and that's all right for like beginnerz i guess;)

13. spidoman

spidoman

Mar 24, 2002
    ok I think I've decided but there is one final show down.

Yamaha RBX264 Vs. Squier by Fender Affinity P-Bass.

I'm really cheap so if you have any other inputs please say so.

Also will a 15W amp be enough for now, for a beginner like me? What accesories do I NEED to get?

14. spidoman

spidoman

Mar 24, 2002
    Hey I found a deal on a Squier Pack for $330 with the bass, a Squier BP-15 amplifier, gigbag, instructional video, strap, and cable.

15. MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    Just a tip, GET A TEACHER. They help you out a lot, give the technique you need, and they won't let you quit... unless you stop paying them. Sure they cost a good amount of money, but its well worth it, especially in the first few months. Good luck and have fun.

16. spidoman

spidoman

Mar 24, 2002
    thanks for all the help, I think I've decided on an Essex Bass. Now, got any tips on amps?

17. well, best bet is to go over to the "amp" forum on here.
    here's the questions you'll encounter:

stack or combo?
    what size gigs do you play?
    style of music

18. http://www.Ibanez.com

I would recommend an Ibanez GSR. They have a thinner neck witch is good if your hands aren't used to playing.

GOOD LUCK!

SCODI

(sorry if the link doesn't work, but you can just "Cut and Paste" it)

19. Hello Spidoman and welcome to Talk Bass.

Think you might have the numbers wrong with '264: do you mean RBX260 or RBX270? The former with one P style pickup, the latter with P and J combination.

I like Yammys. You get quite a lot of bass for your money, IMHO.

Also, once owned a Squier Affinity P Bass. The setup was absolutely superb.

Have you thought about buying used? Roughly between a half and two thirds of the new price will get you that bass used. There are some good bargains out there.

You really need to have a go on some basses before you buy so I'd be wary about a Squier bass pack. Guys have said the quality can be very variable, and because it's boxed up......

Anyway, best of luck.

John