Beginners Head/Cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, Apr 30, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I just recently sold my Combo amp to fund my first head and cab.

I was looking at getting a SWR Workingman's 2X10 amp with the SWR Workingman's 2004 head. Is this a decent set up for practice or small jam sessions?

Money is a bit restrictant, and I don't have a band, so I don't need a lot of sound. I figured that I could always add a 4X10 if/when i got in a band that gigged.

Anyway, is this a decent starter setup? I know the price end is pretty cheap, and I can afford it, unless i'm advised otherwise against this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i scored a good deal on my stuff. i got:
    an Ampeg SVT 3 PRO..............350
    a Hartke 410XL......................200

good stuff will come, i suggest just getting a 4x10.... and if you're into SWR, i found a coulple year old Workingmans 4004 up here (minneapolis, MN) for 350 on music go round (

Good luck!
  3. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Any other help/suggestions?

edit: I should add that currently I can get the SWR 2X10 for 250 bucks. Should I go for it? or hold out for a 4X10? Thanks for any help.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the SWR WM 2x10. It only goes down to about 65hz. I had complaints from bandmates at practice that it did not sound deep enough, so I switched to my SWR WM 1x15. You probably would be better off with an Avatar 2x10T, which would come in at around the same price. The 2004 will only put out about 170 watts at 8ohms tho, and that might be light for the Avatar. You might be better off with the 4004 (300+ watts @ 8ohms)if you can spare the extra cash. Good luck!

Another amp option would be a Hartke 3500, which can be had at a reasonable price.
  5. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    How about a Peavey Mark IV head? Has pretty good reviews on Harmony Central, has decent power, and is pretty cheap. Seem slike a good amp to start with. Thoughts?

I also was thinking possibly an Ampeg SVT-15 Cab. and maybe the B2R head (which I was thinking about before)

It'd prbably help to tell that I play a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string. I think the SVT15 may be a good beginner cab because it's not too loud, but it has the low end that would be good for a 5 stringer.

addition: I may be able to get a Peavey 115 Pro cab for a decent price. Anyone have opinions on that? 8 ohms...