Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginners Mistakes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Ok, just to let you know, this incident occured when I was just starting out and knew very little... Ok, one night I was in my garage and I was really bored so I tuned all of my strings as low as they could go (according to my tuner). So after awhile I go back to re-tune them to standard tuning, and im tuning my B and it keeps getting tighter and tighter and my tuner says its still to low, and as you figured, I snapped it! Then I start to tune my E and it gets tighter and tighter and I realized that it is on the verge of snapping, so I stop. Ofcourse, me being inexperienced figured that it was not the tuners fault. So at that time its about midnight and I am really tired but I decide to tune G, but I was watching my tuner and accidentally start turning the D and that snaps. After that I try and tune G and it also snaps!!! So after snapping 3 of my 5 strings I decided to just yank off my E and A and just put on a whole new set, which was better anyways because the set I had on before sucked. I just thought I would start a thread on all of the dumb or stupid things that people have done either to or with their basses.

2. Don't you DARE come near any of my basses!
    (Jeezzus Christ - what a bloody loser :rolleyes: )

OK - I realise that on reading the above, I come across as being a bit rude, so let me apologise, welcome you to TalkBass.com and compliment you on your honesty...

- Wil

but, er - um, please stay away from my basses, OK?

3. HAHAHHAHA!!

That's very funny man.. Sorry for the broken strings..
    :D

Hey... maybe the note that your tuner was giving you was above the one you were looking for..

Be more careful man..

4. This was when I was beginning, I have learned my lesson!!! We are talking like over a year ago people.

5. People, post your mistakes!!!

6. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    I've done the same thing, but I mostly just wanted to comment on the name. I can only guess that you, like me, find P-Nut to be the most intrigueing and fun bassist out there. He's my biggest inspiration and you obviously can feel what I'm sayin'. So cheers, smoke em if you got em.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    well, i have no string stories-- but there is a thread like this in Gig Stories called "What is the most careless thing you've done with your gig" or something like that.

I'm usually very careful with my gear. The worst thing i've done (that i can think of) is put coats of epoxy on my fretless's fingerboard. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the epoxy is wearing away.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, OK. I did exactly the same thing. But it only took me one string to figure out I was in the wrong octave.

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    in the first 3 weeks of me playing bass i would turn all the tuners the same way and if anyone changed them i would yeall at them for knocking my bass out of tune but then i got smart a bought a tuner

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Do you not have any common sense??

sorry thats a lil rude, but jeez man, c'mon you snap 2 and something doesnt sink in?

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well when I was boiling my strings to freshen them up, I accidentally left them in the pot simmering at a toasty 180 degrees. My mom decided we would have spaghetti for dinner and just thought the pot was already boiled ready for her to cook. We ate the strings.

:rolleyes:

Dude, thread starter is an idiot. Nevertheless, you'll fit right in!:D

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why? We could just laught at yours. :p :D

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    be nice guys. we've all done dumb stuff.

i think my dumbness is more on the uninformed purchases side of the biz than stuff like that tho.

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    A few years back, my interest in bass was temporarily waning. Deciding fretless was the answer, I decided to rip all the frets out of my Epiphone Powerbass. (She was my first bass, and, at the time, my only bass.)

When I did the defretting, I used ordinary pliers and a swiss army knife and didn't think to do anything like heat up the frets. Obviously, I completely screwed up the fretboard.

I also quickly decided I didn't have the wherewithal or skills or knowledge to finish the job. Bassless, I then scrimped and saved for about four months to purchase a replacement -- a used Kramer J-bass with double-J pups and a sweet replacement neck.

Being completely unable to play for four months certainly resparked my interest in bass, and I've still got my faithful Epi. She may be virtually unplayable, but can't bring myself to part ways with her -- or to bother finishing the defretting job!

15. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Letting my drummer touch my bass...and my guitarist once "borrowed" my guitar, threw it up about 30 feet in the air and had it land in a tree. It still works fine though...

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

17. i did the same thing when i started, had the strings tuned too high. but i only snapped the G string before i figured i should take it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I tune first by tension.

I can feel when a string is getting to about the normal tension, then from there I start to tune by ear.

Its a good way to avoid those mistakes.

I once let a guitarist borrow my bass.

He took it with him to the crapper to play, and well, I lost intrest in playing it for a while. Ewwww stinky poo.

Peace
    Nick

19. It's good that we can share our stories and laugh together, lol, but I wanna hear some more, I am very bored and I am sure some people put there have done some pretty dumb stuff.

20. That is true, and also my last name is Kashou (sounds like the nut cashew). I love P-nut though, he is the reason I started. And, to clear the air, think about it, this was like the first week I started and I didn't know how to work my tuner and none of my friends play bass, so everything that I had learned at that point was from my friend who is a guitarist.