1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner's pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nikolozj, Oct 17, 2013.

1. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi TB!

I just got my first and so far only pedal in my life :rolleyes: which is DITTO looper. I really enjoy it.

I wanted to expand my pedal experience and add some more stuff. I'm actually very "clean sound" guy when it comes to ANY sound. I like it clean. That's the other reason I don't like active basses. I like very basic first sound you get from the instrument.

Also is compressor a big thing? I hear some people saying it's a must pedal for bass. Some say it takes too much control over how you play.

Anyway.. ideas?

:help:

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    A compressor is not a must, no pedal is (well, maybe a tuner pedal but even thats not a must). I would get a nice chorus pedal, maybe a funky filter pedal, maybe a light overdrive if thats your thing like a Pork Loin and you could get a good transparent compressor if you like (like the MXR M87). That IMO would be a good starting point.

3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    What styles of music do you mainly play?

4. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for reply!
    I probably used most common effects that exist on computer. I mean software versions of those. In sound editing or composing software that I've worked and I did in fact use many effects on bass tracks, but never really used chorus, so right now it's little bit hard for me to imagine what would you be able to do to bass with chorus. The sounds that come to my mind seem to be way away from what I want from bass :D but I'll research that, thanks! :bassist:

kreider204
    well the thing is that I don't have style yet. I like the idea of being able to play jazz but that's like dreaming yet, although sometimes I like to mess around with some themes... like MR. PC for example.. just for me tho. just soloing without metronome. I guess that's not even practicing.
    I never played with band live situations on bass.
    I like a LOT of styles. I myself write some music in various genres. After I got this loop pedal for example, I started writing hip-hop beats, just because I got to loop some interesting bass grooves...
    so I don't really know what style I play.

but I guess main idea is about loop pedal - I want to be able to play solo over some my own loops in live situation. something that would make the bass cut through the low end loop. or maybe to add some colors to the loop rhythm rhythmically... like wah pedal would add probably good rhythmic funky feeling at some points, you know?

although I don't know if I want wah pedal. I feel like there's got to be something better and more important than that before that.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Seems like a too open-ended question, you yourself don't really know what you're looking for. One idea is to listen to music where there is a bass sound you like, and then figure out (by for instance asking here) how to get that sound.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    There is no magic answer for effects. It's very subjective. I guess you could either get a multieffect pedal to get the hang of it or listen to your favorite bands/music and find the effect tones you like.

7. Get a decent multi like the M5 or 9 or a Zoom B3 and figure out what you like enough to get as an individual effect. You may not need to even bother with separate boxes if you like the multi enough.

8. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I find that pedals are like tattoos. If you know what you want, then get it. But if you're getting a tattoo just for the sake of getting a tattoo, you might end up getting something that you regret.

Luckily with pedals, you can get rid of it and get a new one. But I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

9. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Sounds like you're curious to experiment with pedals. The standard answer around here (and one I agree with) is to get a multi-fx unit of some kind, which will let you do just that, and in a cost efficient package. The Zoom B3 gets a lot of love around here. If you want something extremely easy to use, try to Boss ME-50B, esp. if you can find one used.
    Have fun!

10. Kidd27

Kidd27

Sep 24, 2013
    Hello guys..same situation here..need some ideas to expand my pedals..

I just started play bass in a year and i play something like "paramore+30sec to mars+a day to remember+don broco" stuff for my band..but sometimes metal for my project band..like as "i lay dying+killswitch engage+miss may i"

I'm really interested with Nolly-periphery sound and for that..i've ordered a b7k..but for now..i only have polytune and boss oc-3..

Any suggestion what pedal should i try?i'm just started to explore bass pedals..

Thanks!

11. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on ^^^

Never used zoom but almost bought an MS-60B last week just because they get so much props and I wanted to try. When I was in your shoes quite a while ago I got a Boos GT-6B and it was awesome for a long time. I recently moved on to specific pedals and it was easy to pinpoint what I wanted after using the GT-6B.

Multi-FX are DEFINITELY what you want to do for now judging by your question/post. A Zoom B3 or MS-60B will be extremely fun without any doubt whatsoever (so would a boss GT-6B, but may have run its course given new zoom pedals....????)

PS Goofing around with pedals is awesome and insanely fun but beware you may get hooked.

12. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks you all guys. I agree - multifx is something that will tell what I like.

Didn't even remember that those exist :D

13. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    You may buy used pedals. If you don't like it you can sale it for the same price.

14. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Great advice as well. I do rather excessively and enjoy it quite a bit.