beginning 5-string /need help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by evlmaynard13, Nov 8, 2002.

1. evlmaynard13

Nov 5, 2002
    i just picked up a 5-string for the 1st time..former drummer in need of help.tired of sitting down,wanted something new; thought bass would be cool as hell, it its..where to begin?
  2. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Well I'm a beginner myself....but a good idea would be to hang around this place to learn tips etc. for a might want to check out the FAQ portion of this site to learn all the parts of the bass...passive/active etc....and maybe getting some lessons from a teacher might help as well....they'll get you on the right track.....I myself would recommend maybe getting some books on reading music.....scales..theories...etc.....a local library might have books on least mine does...or you could just go out and buy them

Just play everyday and eventually things will fall in place

Hope that helped...:)
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Congratulations on your entry into the land of low frequencies. Second, congratulations on discovering a web site that surely be one of your biggest allies in your quest to become a bass player.

Where to start? I am big on fretboard familiarization...knowing the name and sound of each note at each fret on each string. Some frets have two note names, such as F sharp/G flat.

You will also have to learn how to tune your bass. The easiest way until you develop an "ear" is to buy a cheap tuner. Make sure you get one for bass guitar or a chromatic tuner that can read every note. Tuners only for guitar may not be able to "read" the low B string on your bass.

I like chromatic tuners because they can be useful even if you "tune down" your bass to E flat or lower.

I also highly recommend having at least a few classes with a real live teacher who can orient you to technique such as fretting and picking ( either fingerstyle or with a pick.) There is no equal to being shown how to play the bass. If you can't find a bass teacher or can't afford one, get a good basic introductory book on bass guitar, preferably one with a CD so you can hear how examples are supposed to sound.

You don't say what style of music most interests you. If you can find a style book such as blues for bass guitar or reggae for bass or jazz for bass or country of bass (with CD) that will be a huge help too, because you will want to know at least some basic elements of creating bass lines in your preferred style.

You have a great benefit in your favor in that you have played drums. That gives you a big advantage in timing, which is a crucial ability bass players must have.

Please come back to TalkBass with any further questions on technique or general information you need to know.
  4. evlmaynard13

Nov 5, 2002
    thanx folks!! you guys kick ass. i'd say more but i've got a line in my head dying to get out!!i'll be back..
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Welcome to the world of bottom dwelling and to talkbass.

1st things you should be learning to do is how to proporly hold the bass, propor finger positioning, right left hand dexterity and independence, scales in all 12 keys both major and minor, as well as finding a good teacher to help you along with all this.

Good luck with the bass!