Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginning Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DumbChild, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Well ive only been playing the bass guitar for a few months. Though over these months ive realised that the bass is such a wonderful instrument and i believe it is what i want to do with my life. I am just 16 and i was just after other peoples opinion on the idea of wanting to play the instrument as my life. Is it to late to begin to learn and hope to get somewhere, to unrealistic? Well i keep hearing that if i wanted it i should have spoke up earlier, but my entire life ive spent my time searching for something that excited me and keeps me happy. Ive never felt strongly about anything before and i keep telling them ill do it no matter what you think. Just was after an experienced person in the areas oppinion.

If it is possible would u guys offer me some tips to point me in the right direction, as in what should i do now attend music through tafe? Play my bum off for the next 4 years ( i like the sound of this one:p) but anyways i think you get the idea. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Spend half your money on lessons, the other half on music. Listen to anything with bass (All kinds of pop music from 1930 on... Classical, Jazz whatever). Ask questions of your teacher.. read TB everyday especially the 'sticky posts' at the top of each topic.

LISTEN... PLAY.... ASK. And the most important answer you can give is 'yes'. Yes, I'll listen to that style of music. Yes, I'll play with your group. Yes, I'm busy I have to practice.

In the next 5 or 6 years you will be bombarded with every distraction known to humanity (and most are pretty cool and fun). Unfortunately you have about 5 or 6 years to really get your stuff together, after that LIFE will kick in and you'll need to have a job and all kinds of other things that take time and effort away from music. So... spend your time wisely. Your youth is your biggest asset... spent it wisely, you'll never regret it.

3. Wow thats the best advice ive heard come out of anyones mouth (or rather typed) in ages. Thanks a heap, im going to do all i can to follow my dream and i will use my years wisely. Thank you

4. My son was 15/16 when he started playing. Like yourself he fell in love with the instrument and just threw himself wholeheartedly into it. He took lessons from a great teacher and worked very hard. After gigging in Glasgow (Scotland) for two years he realised that he would have to go to London to study the bass full-time to give himself the best possible chances. He is now studying at the Bass Institute and loving every minute of it.

You're just at the beginning of your life. Enjoy the instrument. Work hard at it and we'll be reading all about you in the future. All the best!

5. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I can't answer this question because I just started learning bass a year ago, and I'm 41. I guess this is my mid-life crisis, but I absolutely love the bass now and I don't see myself quitting anytime soon.

I don't expect to make it my life since I already have a career. But, I would love to be able to play some gigs and maybe find a full-time gig at church.

If you have the chance to go to college as well, keep that option open. That's my $0.02 worth. You can still progress your skills, but you might want to wear head phones in the dorm. :bassist:

6. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola

I agree w/ both of these guys, but don't forget about getting a higher education. It's kind of like being a pro basketball player. You go to college, get a degree, and play ball at same time. Cause basketball may not last forever.

7. LarryM317

LarryM317

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio Valley
    I'm 24 and wish someone gave me a bass when I was 16 lol

8. whitedk57 like me started late in life. im 43 now and been learnin bass for 7/8 months now. i wish i started when i was your age. play all you can but dont give up on your school work in hopes of bein some big star. education is very important. i sucked in school now im payin for it with this hurtin back. good luck, mike

9. That story really gives me the urge to do it. Thank u

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm 44 and wish someone gave me a bass when I was 4. :)

11. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Only god knows how many musicians are on this planet hoping to make it big. Best of luck to you if you want to make this a carrier, but remember to have a backup incase this doesn't fall through. Also, a backup to the backup incase it fails.

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    all you can do now is practice. if you wanna get good, it's all you have to do. like the rest of the people here, i suggest you get a higher education. sadly but truly, the majority of the musicians here can't make a living off of playing bass. it's not cuz they're not good (some people on this forum are ridiculously good), it's just cuz of the fact that unless you make it big, you don't really make it at all. we all dream of being famous (at our age, aka teenagers), of being big, but sometimes our dreams don't come true.

13. BassChuck is right - this is the time to learn your chops - dive into it! I'd just add three points - try to play with other more experienced players in a wide range of styles. Focus on how to get the right sound from your instrument, amp and effects as well as on the notes you play. I know this is obvious, but it bears repeating - booze and drugs will NOT help you play better.

As for "making it big", I'm 43 and still play gigs about 3 times a month in a variety of places and to be able to do that after so long is making it big enough for me!