Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginning Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fatboy_Jim, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Fatboy_Jim

Fatboy_Jim

Oct 25, 2000
    Hey
    I need some help i was wondering what anyone would think would be a decent bass to start with. I want something that sounds ok but won't break the bank cause as i'm only starting i wanna make sure i like it before i start buying a really expensive one. I was thinking of a squier for around £200
    any opinions?
    Thanks a Lot
    Dermot

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Either a Squire, a made in Mexico Fender, or a Yamaha RBX260. All great beginner basses in desired price range. You shouldn't go much lower than £200, because then, you'll risk getting a really crappy instrument. Play it before you buy it (as you should with any instrument). Even if you can't play, just fool around, feel it. If it feels OK, shoot.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bassplaying and TalkBass! Hope you'll enjoy it!

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Find as many basses as you can...in the price range you want to spend. Then...PLAY as many of those basses as you can. The one that looks...feels....and sounds the best to YOU.....BUY IT! :)

4. I say Ibanez GSR 100 or 200, I personally think its better quality than a lot of the lower end basses.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Listen to Deynn, he's got the right answer.

6. i think he needs to start wiht a Custom clonkin double neck 8 string (just so he can beat out JT on most strings). j/k actuly i was posting to say that my best advice for a beginer bass is the Fender MIM series, either Jazz, or Precision. either are quality instruments, priced $300 everywhere (in the usa).

My first bass was a Yahmaha rbx260, it costed me $200 and ended up replacing it wiht a fender MIM jazz in 6 months.

7. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the MIM Fenders.

Craig

8. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Deynn has got it right.
    I started with a dirty cheap bass. In Hungary a student (like me - I'm 16) can't afford the bass gear for the first time, but you have money, so do it!

9. Oh, I just forgot about this other brand... Rougue.... never used them but I heard they are not that bad (for being extremely dirt cheap)... they have one bass that is $99 US (approx £66 I think)

10. try some used basses too! don't sell yourself short and get some new low end bass.. maybe an ok used one will be good! :D

-Willz

11. MarkM

MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    What does Deynn know! Sheesh.. Nobody buys a bass they like and that feels good. Get one that looks cool! Who cares about cost!! If it looks good, buy the thing!! Jump around with it in front of a mirror....

Actually getting the right feel around the neck is very important to beginners. Because that will be the feel you will like from now on out. If you learn on a Jazz you will always like the feel better than say a P-bass.

If you buy a new one don't spend much time worrying about sound, that will all change based on the amp you will play on. Most of the similar priced basses will have comparable sound.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Objection, your honour! - I have always played basses with thin necks (Fender MIM Jazz and now Yamaha TRB5), but I think the meaty wenge neck of my friends Warwick Corvette is absolutely wonderful. Since I have small hands, it feels like the thin necks give me a bit better reach, but I actually think the beefier necks are just as good, if not better.

13. MarkM

MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    Ok, Oysterman; Well your point is well taken, but you get used to something and it sticks with you. You can however find something more comfortable and make the change.

I have long fingers and grew up on a P-bass and just like that feel! But I have been playing on a 6-string here lately and like that one too!

But my point is get something that feels right to start with (like the other opinions here) because that does affect how you learn.

I just like the wider necks and wider nuts for thr string spacing. That is just a better feel for me. Now the 6-string with it's surfboard neck actually wasn't too hard to get the hang of.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Agreed.

But you also said you won't like other neck shapes further down the road, by settling with one shape! And on that I disagree. :)

15. MarkM

MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    Ok, point taken. Can you change necks easily? I find it uncomfortable to play on a narrower neck than what I learned on. And maybe that is just my long fingers, and I just got lucky and played on the right bass first.

But you develop habits as you learn, especially if you teach yourself. (I have some bad habits....) All the more reason to get something that feels good.

So get a cool looking bass and forget about feel! Just make sure it goes with your outfit!

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can play thin necks and beefy necks, of all sizes as long as my fingers can cross the fretboard... they're rather short, so I could never play the bass in my dreams (Yamaha TRB JP) because the fingerboard is too wide!
    I do like regular string spacing though, I think I would have a hard time playing on something that hasn't the string spacing I'm used to.

And who hasn't bad habits when playing? Geez... I'm trying to get rid of them, all of the time.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If it wasn't for bad habits...I wouldn't have no habits at all.
    Hmmm...that sounds like a blues song....;)

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    MIM Jazz or Precision good bass[es] for the money, I'm thinking bout adding another one [Fender MIM Jazz] but in fretless since i like the sound of my MIM jazz. thats all

19. MarkM

MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    Ok, since the moderator is here.... we better keep this on track!

Get a bass that feels good, and looks good and don't pick up 'no' bad habits! You will have a hard time getting rid of self taught habits.

And Oysterman, I looked at your profile, you are too young to have any real habits! :)

I thought I would have a difficult time with the 6-string, but got to where I liked it. It has wide spacing like my home bass, just a super wide fretboard. But I don't have a hard time getting across it. Now down into the 20+ frets might be a problem!

The 6 string is a Peavey Axcelerator. It has good controls and a good sound. But the thing weighs a ton! Your shoulder goes numb after about half an hour, and if you sit and play it on your knee your foot goes to sleep! I need a Jr. Brown stand for it!

Deynn, here is your song; (only verse one)
    (start with a blues bass line)

I hopped the freight train
    With all my bad habits
    My girlfriend has buck teeth
    She looks like a rabbit

I always have my bass
    But I strum with my thumb
    It moves purty fast
    But it looks real dumb....

20. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000