1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

beginning bassist looking for new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superzeus, Apr 26, 2006.

1. superzeus

superzeus

Mar 3, 2006
    alright im learning bass, my dad, who plays guitar and bass, is letting me use his fender shortneck that he bought about 20 years ago, i think its called a bullet, i want something of my own tho, so i been looking for a new bass, my price range is prolly about $400-700, here's what ive been looking at:
    schecter c-4- i played one at guitar center and it sound real nice, but i dont know much about them
    fender p-bass- this is what my dad wants me to get, hes big on fender and gibson
    carvin bass- ive heard really good things about these but again dont know alot about them
    any other suggestions in this price range are welcome, my dad is all like "a fender or some other mia bass will retain its value better" im like, fenders in that price range are mim anyways and i just want the best bass, if thats the fender, then thats cool, but if not, how can i convince my dad into something like a schecter or some bass other than fender, he grew up playing music in the 70s, he had an eb-3 and still has a gretsch, so he is a diehard of anything mia, especially fender and gibson, any opinions/suggestions on what bass to get/what to do?
    thanks

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Fender Highway 1, jazz or precision. It's MIA, sounds great, feels great, and fits into any style music. Your dad is right. The 'best' is to each his own. Fender is the benchmark that all others are compared to.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Actually, I'd be taking one of your dad's basses. He doesn't need them anymore.:D

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    hmm, have you checked pawn brokers/shops? I found an MIA fender p--bass for $200 at a local store, sounds killer. do a search for Pawn brokers in your area.

5. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Schecter for sure. I was thinking it before I even read your post. Look into the stiletto series. They are great for the money and the value won't matter cause you won't ever want to sell it anyway. Don't go by what your dad tells you to get. Get what ever feels best to you.

6. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    SX

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Fender J, Traben Phoenix, maybe an Ibaniz, I think Conklin makes a nice bass for around that price range, Lackland.

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    wanna try a brice or olp? I am willing to part with either...
    AND both are in your price range AND very cool !!!(my olp has black hardware ) this is just a stock pic...I can email you actual pix or olp if interested.