1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

beginning Country Bass player...more money into Bass or Amp?

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by mcompton1973, May 4, 2010.

1. mcompton1973

mcompton1973

May 7, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    ok, here is my deal.
    I am 36...I have fiddled with Bass off and on for years...but nothing even remotely serious. I play a bit of rhythm guitar as well...but basically just some songs around the livingroom or occasional bon fire. I did play in a band....15 years ago when I was in the Marines.

Now...I am sitting here thinking, I finally have a little time on my hands...I would love to be able to be in a band again. I also see that around here...no one wants to play Bass....sooooo. I am thinking of being a little more serious about it, and see if I cant get into a band again.

Ok...i realize it wont be as easy as all that...but at least you see what I am shooting for. Now for the question.

I was looking at a little Ibenez Bass (GiO?) and an acoustic B20 practice amp. Then I got to reading on here. I wonder if that is the best move? Should I spend more on a better bass? if so like what? and instead of getting a B20 maybe just get a Vox amplug or something similar? or should I stay with the Ibenez and go with a better Amp? Maybe the b100 or look around at the Pawn Shops for like a Peavy combo or an old Peavy head....something like that? (I say Peavy because it seems like those are all over the pawn shops here)

I prob have about $500 to play with....which I know is not going to get me a gigable outfit...As odd as this may sound...my dream Bass is a Peavy T-40 (only because the Bass player from Alabama sported one back in the 80's and everything I hear about them is great except heavy....which is why I am thinking of something else to start on)

2. mcompton1973

mcompton1973

May 7, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Now I am also seeing ideas of small mixers, or other things that I can then plug into my computer...which would be handy for playing along with songs. I will be honest...that appeals a bit because my wife and kids are not going to want to hear me practicing all the time...lol.

The question I have is...how do I generate sound from one of those? lol. I mean does the computer basically create teh volume?

I have so much to learn....

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. If you want to use headphones, the mixer will power the headphones.

You plug your bass into one mixer channel. You plug the line out from your computer into a stereo channel. Then you can play along to mp3s, or youtube videos, or whatever you can play on your computer.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    And for your original question.... I would put the money into an amp. You can't practice with a band, let alone gig, without a more powerful amp.

5. mcompton1973

mcompton1973

May 7, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Ok...so skip on the computer stuff, and get a decent amp.

150.00 for the Acoustic b20
    250.00 for the Acoustic b100

I thought the 100...but I dont see it having a line out...so if it doesnt have that...then I dont know...is it really worth it? am I better off saving the money and get something like a B200 later? Someone said the effects out or whatever can be used as a line out....is that true?

6. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Amp by far! I have an Acoustic B20, and while it's almost perfect for the home, in a band setting it will probably be too small. If you want a small amp and like Acoustic (which I do), the 260 mini stack should work fine. It has a line in, as does the B20, so you could use an IPod and play along with that. A Zoom B1 effects box can be had for $50 and gives you some good stuff to play with. Skip the computer stuff. It's nice to have a "dream bass", but on a budget you need to .....er....budget. Go to Rondo and pick out an SX. Good quality for the price, and built like a tank. Put on your fav strings, plug it in to your new amp, and your ready!

7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and offer a dissenting opinion.

The question you need to ask yourself is, how soon will you be ready to join a band? How many hours will you be able to put into practice to become good enough to join a band? How long will it take you to find a band that you would consider joining once you're ready?

If you're thinking this could take a while, you'd be better off spending your money on the bass and saving more money for the amp once you're closer to being ready. Having a good bass that's properly set up will get you moving toward developing the skills you need to audition and gig much more quickly than a powerful amp. Get your bass, and start out practicing scales and arppegios and tunes you like through headphones (your significant other will appreciate this).

Meanwhile, save up for an amp that you can take into a rehearsal with a drummer. A 100-watt Acoustic ain't gonna do it. Unless the band you're joining has a big PA with serious low-frequency capabilities (e.g., subwoofers), you're going to get buried with anything less than 300 watts.

Just $.02 worth from an old fart country bassist!