Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beginning fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maillotjaune, Jul 13, 2001.

1. maillotjaune

maillotjaune Guest

Jun 16, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I was wondering which would be easier to begin to play bass on fretted or a fretless bass. it seems like beginning on a fretless would be much easier as long as frets are marked.
    I currently have a fretted DeArmond Pilot Plus 4-string, would it be possible to defret that bass?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well i heard once that jaco took his first bass and pulled of the frets with a pair of pliers. i haven't tried this because i'm too afraid that i might ruin my cruddy bass. i dunno how well it would work. but i'd get some more opinions before i'd try it.

3. defretting can be a pain, especially if you don't know what your doing, because you might end up messing something up and making your bass unplayable.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Given all the cheap fretlesses out there, I'm perplexed as to why anyone these days would attempt to defret a fretted bass.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The pursuit of musical happiness and prowess is not always about whats easiest.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me too.

7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    its really easy all you do is heat you frets up with some thing to heat the glue up and pull the up with some thing that can hold on to them. and some how fill in the slots .look on the board how to fill in the slots

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well if you have an old bass lying around that you never use its a lot cheaper to defret that than to go out and buy a new fretless. Plus some people just like to mess with stuff.

9. by Phat ham

exactly, and thats how we learn and then report our findings to the board.

if no one took the risk, then we'd all be slaves to fender