Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginning Fretless

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Obsdian, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Hello guys!

Next month I will be ordering my first fretless, a Carvin. Any advice/comments that you could give to me before entering the realm of the unfretted?
    Thanks!

2. everytime you practise for the next month or so on your fretted, do it blindfolded!....thats always good :)
    apart from that theres not much...IMO that u can do, simply cos the fretless is a whole different kettle of fish
    good luck

*Si*

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just play it. You'll do fine.
    Doc

4. Nameless Poet

Nameless Poet

Sep 4, 2002
  5. Thanks for the encouragement guys, fretless is rather intimidating.

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Fretless doesn't need to be intimidating, just make sure you get one with lines, and start slow... Allow the speed to develop completely naturally, focus all your energy on tone and intonation, getting great sounds accurately in tune. Forget fast licks and such, and focus on the stuff that sounds good. All the speed stuff just comes through repetition, but you've got to get it right to repeat it right...

One good exercise is to record yourself playing some things on fretted, and then play along with them on fretless (check the tuning on both basses before you start!!) - it's an easy way to hear where you're going wrong... :)

have fun

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i started on a fretless, if anything it made me a better player