Beginning slapping / popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Spikeh, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've been trying to slap / pop for about a year - I've come to the conclusion that my Westfield P-Bass is at fault, not just me being terrible at it!

Anyway - I'm buying a new Fender Jazz Bass this week (see previous post). I'm convinced it's the right one for me, at least for the time being.

I just wondered what advice / techniques you could give on slapping / popping... I think I'm doing it right (from the lessons I've read on the 'net), but any help would be appreciated as I don't have any friends / associates that can slap on a bass. Suppose I'm really looking for confirmation that the bass I currently have is no good for what I'm trying to do ;)

P.S. I'm considering taking up lessons some time soon - but I'm not convinced that the local teachers would be able to help me advance in the world of slapping etc.
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    You should be able to slap on your westfield p-bass. I don alot of slaping and I can slap on just about any bass it may not sound and feel as good on certain basses but the Fender J should be alot easier to learn on.

PS: Wrong Forum
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You can slap on any bass at all as long as the action is not ridiculously high. Get a good teacher, slapping is not something that I particularly recommend just trying on your own.
  4. I pretty much taught myslef slap only instruction was Bass Bassics Theres a section hear on slap bassiscs, any more advanced methods i learned from watchign les claypool. What I would say as advice is to start slow, as with all techniques, play simple octaves slaping and poping untill you feel more comfortable, then speed it up a bit, try to add some hammer-ons and stuff and you should get it.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm not really sure I'd reccomend watching Les Claypool for right hand slap technique. There's no denying he's fast and has a unique sound, but part of his unique sound is that he's incredibly sloppy.

Get a teacher, ASAP. They can help you a lot with technique like this -- and don't sell the local players short. I didn't think there'd be anyone around here that was a great player, but my teacher (3rd year with him) continually blows my mind.

PS: Jazzes are great for slapping, but unless you can shoot arrows from the neck, don't blame your gear. My only fretted is a P/J (with only the P pickup working ATM, the J is out of phase so I need to get that fixed) and it sounds great for slap.
  6. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Well, just to let you all know - I bought myself an Active Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe yesterday... don't think I've stopped playing it until I left for work this morning, and I can immediately feel a difference in slapping. When I slap one string, the others don't keep resonating (unless I intend them to of course!), there's more room between the strings (more room for error) and overall it just makes such a nicer sound! I'm VERY VERY happy with it... I now feel like I can and WANT to progress on it.

I'm going to get myself a teacher sometime soon - got a number for a lady who left it in a shop... apart from that, I've not found anyone locally who does bass specific lessons. I want the money I pay to be well spent... don't wanna learn stuff that I can teach myself really!
  7. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    What forum should he've posted in? It was a question about technique as much as it was about basses.

Plus, you can slap on pretty much any bass. But I know from experience (since the only bass I own is a P-Bass) That a P-Bass is one of the worst basses to get a good sound slapping on. I just recently discovered this when I compared it to other basses at my local guitar center. P-Basses are great, but if your main focus is slap, or you really really wanna learn slap, go with a different bass. I somehow managed to get a good slap technique on a Precision, but it took me 4 months instead of a week or two.
  8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

The post was moved from "Basses" to "Technique" by a moderator :) I originally posted it in "Basses" - my bad! I'll try not to do it again!

Loving the slap on this J-Bass ;)
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The bass you currently have is no good for what you're trying to do.

Seriously, it helps to see someone demonstrate the proper technique in person.

Barring that, I highly recommend the new Ed Friedland "Slap Bass" DVD from Hal Leonard (the one with the P-bass on the cover :) ). It's easier to find than the Sklarevski "Slap Bass Program" tape (also excellent) and a little less dated in terms of the material.