Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginning walking and improvisation...

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by TreeChild, Feb 4, 2006.

1. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    so i have been playing bass for about 3 and a half years, and just started playing jazz and the upright a couple months ago. i have some knowledge as far as "what to play when" goes, but, what my question is, is what should i be studying now to improve my walking and improvisation?
    thanks guys. ~ wyatt

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    See if you can find a demo of Band-in-a-Box. With this, you can program chord progressions. After that, you can change the key, how much of each instrument you hear, etc. PM me if you get it, and I can send you a zip file of (a lot of) tunes from the RB in Band-in-a-Box format, complete with changes, melody, and structures programmed in.

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  5. hey Aaron! I'd really like those files for the Band in a Box. I have that program but never used it. Guess that will help me learn more about jazz :hyper:

thanks

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Treechild, it would be helpful to us if you filled out your profile with some information about where you are, how old you are, what your background is, etc.

I personally don't find the computer rhythm sections as helpful as some other people do. You might, but I really suggest a) listen to enough jazz records that you develop an idea of someone with a walking feel that you like b) find a teacher to help you, even if it is just to get you started c) find some people to play with. Depending on where you live, this is potentially much easier than you would think.

With a little technique and a little theory, walking is a very simple thing to get started doing. But you need to be able to put it in practice. Then, of course you can spend your lifetime getting better at it.