Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metori, Sep 9, 2005.

1. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    Hello, I am very new to playing bass and I am not able to get lessons right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to (or not to) do before I go get lessons. I have this bass and I don't just want to stare at it until I can get lessons, but I dont know what to do until then.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well, when i first started (about 6 months ago) i started learning a couple of easy songs. when the summer started i started to take my "practice" more seriously and practiced scales and practiced working on using all four fingers on my FRETTING hand. as of now i am working on using 3 fingers on my plucking hand. oh btw im starting my first lesson tomorrow :hyper:

3. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    Cool, how much do lessons run?

4. Rockape

Rockape

Sep 7, 2005
    Nerja Spain
    I'm a sprog player too, and doin much the same as above, learnt a few songs and pratice scales, learn music theory & read everythin i can about experiances and advise from others, pratice usin all my fingers and follow easy songs like "stand by me" , "Start" by The Jam and listern to as much music (with bass in it) as i can regardless if i like it or not, just gettin the feel and styles.

For me its a ground up experiance in every sense, if your simular you might find it useful to set your foundations now and build from there.

Now don't i sound like bob the builder, hmmm did his song have a bassline... (rushes out to buy a copy)

5. lessons usuallly arent toooo cheap.... 20-50 bucks an hour maybe