1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beginning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metori, Sep 9, 2005.

1. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    Hello, I am very new to playing bass and I am not able to get lessons right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to (or not to) do before I go get lessons. I have this bass and I don't just want to stare at it until I can get lessons, but I dont know what to do until then.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well, when i first started (about 6 months ago) i started learning a couple of easy songs. when the summer started i started to take my "practice" more seriously and practiced scales and practiced working on using all four fingers on my FRETTING hand. as of now i am working on using 3 fingers on my plucking hand. oh btw im starting my first lesson tomorrow :hyper:

3. metori

metori

Jul 18, 2005
    Cool, how much do lessons run?

4. Rockape

Rockape

Sep 7, 2005
    Nerja Spain
    I'm a sprog player too, and doin much the same as above, learnt a few songs and pratice scales, learn music theory & read everythin i can about experiances and advise from others, pratice usin all my fingers and follow easy songs like "stand by me" , "Start" by The Jam and listern to as much music (with bass in it) as i can regardless if i like it or not, just gettin the feel and styles.

For me its a ground up experiance in every sense, if your simular you might find it useful to set your foundations now and build from there.

Now don't i sound like bob the builder, hmmm did his song have a bassline... (rushes out to buy a copy)

5. lessons usuallly arent toooo cheap.... 20-50 bucks an hour maybe